Difference between 351 boss and 351c? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2001, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

I don't know much about the boss mustangs, I was just wondering what the difference in the engines are. (Saw one today looked pretty sweet.) Also what does my 351c redline at i'm guessing about 5,500, but i've never actually been sure.
Thanks
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2001, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

My dad's 390 doesn't redline until 6800... So I guess the 351 isn't too far behind.

1968 Coupe, Pebble Beige. 200 cubic inch 6-cylinder, all Clifford Performance modifications
1968 GT-390, black with white Shelby Le-Mans stripes - My dad's!
2000 Mustang GT - My girlfriend's new toy. Triple black! She drives it like a V6

The Lottie: I6 to V8 conversion, GVM front disc brakes, 3.55:1 "posi" rearend, new interior, and just plain too much money in her. Lottie is her name, spending my paycheck is her game.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/antian26/stang/sigpic.jpg
L20068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2001, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

All Boss 351's were 4 bolt main blocks with cast nodular cranks that were checked for hardness, while other 351C-4V's may have had 2 or 4 bolt mains, and the cranks were not hardness checked prior to installation. The Boss engines came with forged 11.7:1 pop-up pistons (some references say 11:1 or 11.1 :1) while other 351C-4V's came with cast flat top pistons. The Boss used a solid lifter cam instead of hydraulic, so the heads were machined for adjustable rocker arms (screw-in studs and guide plates). Hardened pushrods and locating cups for the valvesprings were also used, as were single-groove valve locks vs. multi-groove on other engines. All Boss 351 heads used a small "closed" combustion chamber for increased compression, as did 1970 and some 1971 351C-4V's; 1972 351 H.O.'s (the closest thing to a Boss351 in 1972), the mid-year 71 351 CJ, and the later 351C-4V's (commonly also called CJs) all used an open chamber design that lowered compression and reduced emissions. Some late 351C-4V engines used the large port sizes common to all 4V heads but used the smaller 351C-2V valves. The Boss used an aluminum intake with an Autolite 4300D spread-bore carb, while other 351C-4V's used iron intakes with either a std. flange (1970) or spread-bore carb. The Boss used a dual point (vs. single point), dual-vacuum diaphragm distributor, along with a rev limiter set for 6,150 rpm (they'd go higher, but not under warranty!). Cast aluminum valvecovers, larger exit exhaust manifolds, a thicker harmonic balancer, baffled oil pan and I believe a recalibrated dipstick rounded out the Boss package. Some other 351C's used baffled oil pans - I'm not sure if they are identical or not. I think that's most of it for the engine (of course, all were Ram Air equipped) - the cars had a few other features that were unique as well, and I'm sure if I missed anything someone will point it out for us. You can check mine out at http://mtwcarcrazy.homestead.com/main.html
As for your redline, 5,500 is pretty good on a stock engine. It probably won't make any additional power much above that due to conservative cam timing and restrictive intake/exhaust, and there's more stress on the parts the higher you go.

Old 05-01-2001, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

Here's an interesting page about the Boss 351 heads.....they're essential to the performance potential of this engine over a stock C engine, especially a 2V engine..

Pat
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2001, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mark351 gave you an [color:red]EXCELLENT description of the differences between the engines... I've had my 2V up to 5500, sounds like the world is coming to an end, LOL... Now, opinion mode on: if you are building a Cleveland motor, you have to be realistic with what you expect to do w/ the car, I've driven a 70 4V, and my Mach has a 70 2V; in a street race I would destroy the 4V stoplight to stoplight, but it would kick my butt in a real drag racing environment where high revving is more common. Opinion mode off [IMG]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG].

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD

"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

'70 Cougar
'72 Mach 1
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers
nosaj122081 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2001, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses everyone, I had always wondered what made the boss's engine different.
Dave

Old 05-02-2002, 04:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

The boss 351's also came with the roller rocker set up, a first for the 70's from the factory......351C's didn't come with this, they used the normal rockers.

I also believe that the intakes were different

rods were shot peened and magged be4 install as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.