Muriatic Acid, it's not just for breakfast anymore - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Forgive me if this is common knowledge/practice to you illuminati but I lucked out with this and have to share.

While etching the concrete in the garage for a planned painting, I ended up with some extra Muriatic Acid. This is the same stuff that's used to adjust the pH in pools; just very concentrated and in liquid form. I picked it up at Home Depot.

Anyway, there were a few pieces of my car that needed cleaning and paint stripping and I opted to try the acid rather than the wire brush/stripper method. After diluting the acid with about 5-6 parts water, I put some parts including timing chain cover, bumperett mounts, lots of nuts and bolts, etc. in the solution for a few hours. Looking at them afterwards in the bucket I was a bit disappointed however; no visible change.

That all changed when I hit them with a garden hose - every bit of paint, rust, oil, undercoating, and dirt came off. Better yet, the metal looks GREAT. I was a bit concerned about the Aluminum timing chain cover but it looks the best of them all. I'd imagine that the metal has been slightly etched as well and would take well to painting once well washed.

If you give it a shot, use gloves and do it outside. Be safe with this stuff as it's REALLY nasty. SWMBO was using some undiluted stuff that ate noticebly though concrete in seconds.

I hope somebody finds this trick handy,
Aaron

"Ah the Luftwaffe; the Washington Generals of the History Channel" - Homer Simpson
1967 Mustang Fastback; originally an A-Code, 4-Speed car now with a 373hp & 340ft-lb 302, Tremec 3550, JMC hydraulic clutch, SSBC front brakes, 9" Versailles rear with 3.70 gears, Trac-Loc, and discs. Original color Acapulco Blue on Black. Repaired door rust, new cowls, new floors, quarter panels patched. Total cost... god only knows.
mustang2plus267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2001, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Muriatic acid is so dangerous that we (college students) aren't even allowed to use it in our advanced chemistry experiments, lol.

1968 Coupe, Pebble Beige. 200 cubic inch 6-cylinder, all Clifford Performance modifications
1968 GT-390, black with white Shelby Le-Mans stripes - My dad's!
2000 Mustang GT - My girlfriend's new toy. Triple black! She drives it like a V6

The Lottie: I6 to V8 conversion, GVM front disc brakes, 3.55:1 "posi" rearend, new interior, and just plain too much money in her. Lottie is her name, spending my paycheck is her game.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/antian26/stang/sigpic.jpg
L20068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2001, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just remember --- "Do as you oughtta, add acid to water"

Not the other way around!

Bob
"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2001, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

LOL, did Chem 101 ruin a few of your shirts like it did mine!? I had many shirts with holes across them at table-height. Just leaning up against the table did it.

Like I said, be careful with this stuff! It is quite corrosive out of the bottle. Follow the precautions. It's really not that hard and the results were worth it in my opinion.

-Aaron

"Ah the Luftwaffe; the Washington Generals of the History Channel" - Homer Simpson
1967 Mustang Fastback; originally an A-Code, 4-Speed car now with a 373hp & 340ft-lb 302, Tremec 3550, JMC hydraulic clutch, SSBC front brakes, 9" Versailles rear with 3.70 gears, Trac-Loc, and discs. Original color Acapulco Blue on Black. Repaired door rust, new cowls, new floors, quarter panels patched. Total cost... god only knows.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

i used that stuff to clean my block when it was being rebuilt, works really good

66 coupe, modified 289,stock c4 (in the process of converting to t5)
TCP suspension and subframes, 4wheel disc brakes, stock 279 open rear (gonna have to change that soon). Why do i keep spending so much money on this car?
Old 05-10-2001, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have used it at the detail shop to clean the bottom of boats.

Matt
66 289 coupe
98 GT coupe
mustangmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2001, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, I bought 2 gallons of it at Leslie's pool supply. I've got it in a 5 gallon pail of it with 2 gallons of deionized water. Just be careful, potmetal basically melts in the acid. I dropped the quarter window guides (the large rectangular pieces that have the rails for the quarter window) in the acid to get the corrosion off, and I left them in the pail a little too long. When I pulled them out, the pot metal stops that have the rubber covered end on it, was gone! two rivets sizzling were left. When I looked down in the pail, I saw a bubbling ball of pot metal in the bottom! Not to worry, though, I got another one for 20 bucks! Cheap doofus award!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe, back on the road (watch it!) 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat, tri-bars, tri-Ys, now I need tri-power!

1965 Ford Mustang - All Weather Fighter
autoxsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2001, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

we use the stuff to remove light surface rust on undercarriage components. the most important thing to remember is to wash it off totally.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!
Old 05-10-2001, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've used muriatic acid for years as well. The fumes as everyone knows are really mean. You have to stay upwind, and the fumes travel and contaminate everything in their path. I always have a water hose next to the work area as a precaution. You can't be too carefull with that stuff. Because it gets down into the pores of the metal, it makes it a very effective and fast acting cleaner. But the down side is the rusting process starts immediately after the item has been cleaned and dried. Dipping the parts in phosphoric acid, phosphate coats the part(s) and helps tremendously in eliminating the re-rust problem on nuts and bolts etc. For other items blot or force air dry then prime and paint. I have also read that muriatic acid can cause metal to crystalize and weaken. Think twice about dipping critical suspension or brake components in that stuff. Phosphoric acid will accomplish the same cleaning action, it takes longer, but is a hell of a lot safer!

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
Charlie, CMSGT USAF Ret. 65 Hi-Po F/B, 67 GTA F/B (SB) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA) TX, Member MCA #27479. Now working a '69 M code mach 1.
charlie65_67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2001, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

A guy at the shop where I work on my car stripped a rusted rolling chasis with this stuff. As was previously said every friggin bare piece of metal within 100 feet started to rust. I wanrned them about this and the dangers of working with acid but I guess I was the only one that listed in chemistry class. This stuff cleans rust great but is a hell of an oxidizer. I convinced him to wash it down with baking soda solution which delayed the flash rusting long enough to get some epoxy primer on it.

1970 Mach 1 resto-mod, under construction
Old 05-10-2001, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

charlie,

the phosphoric acid sounds like it might be a better option. can you paint over the phosphate coating?

i have NASTY flash rusting problem as i'm on the water just southeast of houston. i want to hit my block with some degreaser prior to painting it and was considering the muriatic acid. might phosphoric be better or should i go for just plain old deagreser and metal ready?

thanks,
aaron

Old 05-10-2001, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

I can't believe you guys use that stuff on your parts. I've used that for years to clean masonry and it's nasty! We put a shovel in a dilluted mixture of it and by the next morning it had dissolved to the thickness if a beer can. It cleans aluminum nice but it dissolves metal. It has to be stored in plastic or glass for a very good reason. Be very careful.
Steve

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name
Old 05-10-2001, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

hey! I use acid all the time as a printmaker.
here's the major concerns,

Make sure you get it ALL off. this is best acheived by using a stop bath. or a tub full of water mixed with bacing soda to deativate the acid.

also any one acid bath should only be used with one type of metal. Otherwise the acid can actually plate the new metal with the old metal.

next lastly, and I cannot stress this enough, those fumes are toxic. they can kill you. so do this OUTSIDE. If you are in a garage...turn on the fans... I mean it.

and lastly, keep a box of baking soda around incase you splah any and Wear eye protectors.

Muriatic acid if memory serves, is Hydrocloric based, so that gas it gives off is chlorine, and acidic. So a using tip. DO NOT LEAN OVER IT.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl, Std, Bench Seat, "Betty". Driven through 10 years of College.
My SWMBO is my MUSTANG!
Old 05-17-2001, 08:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sounds like pretty nasty stuff. I was thinking of dipping my boat exhaust manifolds to clear all the rust from the water passages. Anyone got any ideas as to how effective this would be? and would it simply ruin them?

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.