Nason clear over Chroma-base... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2001, 06:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
abn

I notice a thread below (epoxy primer) mentioning plans to use Nason clear over Chroma Base color...(and this particular combo has been suggested to me to avoid the cost of Dupont's Chroma Clear or Chroma Premier). My question is, If you're going to use Nason clear why not use a Nason Ful-base color coat? It seems that if you are going to go full boat on anything you should do it on the clear because that is what is going to really take the UV/Impact/Abrasion/Thermal stress that the asphalt jungle dishes out. Of course Chroma Base is only $40.00/quart (IIRC) and the clears are considerably more expensive. Any input?
abn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2001, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Base coat/clear coat two stage systems are designed by chemists to work in conjuction with each other for the best possible finish. It's always been a No No to mix systems & or brands when applying base coat/clear coat systems, although I'm sure that it will work. You just won't get the finest outcome. I'm sure whomever told you this is thinking that Nason is probably the same because Dupont owns Nason. Dupont purchased Nason Automotive paint division from Fuller O'Brien 8 to 10 years ago, but still utilized their mixing plants. Dupont bought Nason so they could compete with the low end market. They are not the same paint! That is why it's cheaper. You don't get something for nothing! What he should have done was buy the Nason basecoat/clearcoat system instead of trying to mix the two...Another words ,your observation is correct. My best friend worked for Nason for 13 years & has now worked for Dupont the last 10 years since the buy out & has explained the differences to me over the years. He is a factory rep that goes around to all the West Coast paint & body shops & demos new product as to how it should be applied. Very knowledgeable guy
gsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.