351 Cleveland in 69 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2001, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone out there have a build sheet showing that any 351 Clevelands were put in 69 Mustangs. I would like to see a copy. To my knowledge I have never heard of one. I wrote a reply to an ad on VMF about 2 weeks ago that I did not think that Ford put the Clevelands in 69's. I got 2 replies saying they did. Then tonight I get an email from some guy named Kevin Whittum at ghxst@swbell.net telling me to go back to school that the H code was the Windsor and the M code was the Cleveland.Now I know better than that because I have a M code with 351 windsor 4 barrel.I also looked at a book that was put out by Kevin Marti called Mustang...by the Numbers and he does not say anything about a Cleveland in the 69's.So all I ask for is some proof.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...81_21_full.jpg
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2001, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TFOB

No Clevelands in 1969, If you want proof, Have someone that say's they have a Cleveland in a 69. Take the valave cover off and look at the casting date. It will not be a 69
I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking.
Woodrow T. Wilson

You have a friend in Jesus!
TFOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

They didn't have them in 69. Just yesterday I saw a 69 Mach 1 with a Cleveland. The owner thought it was a "numbers matching" car; I didn't want to upset him so I didn't say anything.

I'm finished with the first cylinder head. I should ship the cutter back to you over Thanksgiving vacation. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jaceqq

i thought some of the very late 69s came with the 351c and some of the very early 70s came with the 351w?.....it happened when the plants where swicting over to make the 70 models..... is this not correct....??
jaceqq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I remember getting a pasting on the old VMF for this very subject, as I had been relying on information from an old Muscle Parts catalog and Ray Miller's "Mustang Does It" book. They both showed Clevelands being produced in the '69 model year. In Ray's book, there are both images of the Cleveland on the '69 front page as well as listings for the 4V 335 series engine with 10.7:1 CR on both the engine code and engine specs page...
The conundrum for me was that my 1970 Muscle Parts catalog showed the same engine specs for the 351W 4V in '69 (M-code) with the HP rating increasing from 290 in '69 to 300 in '70, which might lead me to believe the 335 series was installed in that model year for the first time.
Part of my problem also was that the Muscle Parts catalog covered all Ford/Mercury model lines, not just Mustangs...

As one of the restoration gurus pointed out at the time, there are often few "absolutes" when dealing with these sorts of things....generally, a consensus is reached but we should always keep our minds open to the possibilities...I found that to be good advice...

I guess only owners like yourself will really know the true answer...
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I know how you feel, Pat. I am looking of a reprint of Fords own Boss 302, 351C/351M/400 tech data that was published many places including the 1970 Muscle Parts Supplement, page 14. I was not aware that any Boss 302 engines came with clutching fans! Also, the thermactor and alternator are incorrect, IMHO.
cobrapatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have never seen or heard of a cleveland factory installed in a 69, it would be neat to see though. I think your friend was refering to the 1970 model year in which a H code could be a windsor or a cleveland , but a M code was a cleveland. Ask these people to prove it but I bet the casting dates post date the production of the car and the vin number on the block doesn't match. I wish that they could prove me wrong.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2001, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Check out this by Kevin Marti:
Http:/fomoco.com/forummain/reply/.asp?id=29351&reply=29319

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...81_21_full.jpg
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2001, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

go to www.fomoco.com and go to the tech reference area it lists by year code and gives all the specs on what engine came with what and what car it was offered. great quick resource. and no clevelands were not offered until 70

NE DESIT VIRTUS "Let Valor Not Fail"
69 Mustang Mach 1Aztec Aqua
www.scottsmustangpage.freeservers.com
sadin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.