Granada Front-end Swap - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-22-2002, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

I did the Granada swap a couple of years ago, and a nagging question has been floating around in my head since. When it was all done, and I set all the weight on the new front, the stance was considerably lower than before. I also did the Shelby drop, but why would the whole setup drop over two inches? Do Granada spindles have a drop built into them?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2002, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am not aware that the Granada spindles have any lowering effect.

Since you also did the Shelby mod, did you also install 620# springs? Most 620 springs advertise lowering things an inch. Add 1/2" for the Shelby mod and there is most of your difference. I have seen some poor quality control with springs, so they could have been either a little to short or too soft causing your car to settle more than expected.

If it is too low, you can use 1" poly spring isolators to bring it back up.

California car born an I6, now with warmed up 289 w/T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel. Owned since 1983.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_3.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_2.jpg
66coupe289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2002, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I saw before and after photos of the Shelby relocation. The differences was about 1/2". As far as I know, the ride height should be the same for either spindle. To the best of my knowledge, I don't ever recall anyone having that kind of problem with the ride height after the swap.

About the only thing that I can think of that made the change might be that the last time the front end was rebuilt, when the bolt for the lower control arm was tightened, the suspension was fully extended. This could add some artificial spring rates from the bushings being locked into place at this location. Now, when you took things apart, you tightened the lower arm at it's normal ride height, taking away the added artificial spring rate. I've seen this happen on a friends 65 Fairlane and also have read about it too. BTW, was the 351 already in place or did you add it at the time of relocating the arms/ The 351W is about 75 pounds heavier.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2002, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jay

I experienced the same effect. I found two things in my quest to solve it (before scrapping the whole Granada setup). First I used the 1" poly spacers as already suggested and then I installed shorter end links on the swaybar. These combined brought things back where they 'should' be.
www.vintagemotorsports.com
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2002, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I used stock V-8 springs when I changed everything over. The car was originally a 200 ci 6cyl, so I thought the standard springs would be enough. How do shorter end links change the height? They are pretty short already (about 1&1/2"). Thanks for the info!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.