what color primer under red paint??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

what's the best color of primer to use under red paint? red seems like the obvious choice, but do the different colors actually do different things. sorry if this sounds silly, i'm learning.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2002, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Your are correct in that different primers can give the base coat different hues. Start with your paint supplier see what kind of choices he has. Some companies have tintable primers so you might want to go with one of those so you can choose your color. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

well what's the best color to use overall. painting is a ways off for me, i don't know who's gonna paint it. i just need to get some primer on the car when i take it to bare metal. the color of the paint is going to be rangoon red. i'm sure the paint shop will probably prime eveb more, and might sand off my primer beforehand. i just need a quickie job to get something on my car. thanks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I work in a paint & body shop and the painters use gray sealer before the topcoat so it doesn`t matter at our place.And we do a lot of custom and match paint jobs.
performer rpm intake, 625 carter,AFR 165 heads,
4 speed toploader, 85 duraspark ignition, pony interior,the who,the doors,and ccr full blast on the stereo
blagin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2002, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just recently took an advanced paint course here in SoCal and the color of choice for my project was the 2001 Corvette red. This particular bc/cc required a white base. In fact, we sprayed two similar fenders - one with a gray base and the other with a white base and the white based red was definitely more brilliant. In painting in Xtremestang, my 65 f/b, I sprayed my orange tangerine directly over the DP 40 white epoxy primer which produced outstanding results....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
www.bossman-motorsports.com

bosscars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2002, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My painter used color-tinted epoxy primer under my candyapple red bc-cc. The primer was pink. Go here to see photos as the boydwork and paint progressed: http://personal.ecu.edu/boydd/photos...yandpaint.html.

I read a few years ago that Ferrari used pink primer on its red cars, and gray primer on its other colors.

The color of primer definitely makes a difference. On a couple of spot repairs where red/brown primer was used on my car, you could see the primer through the candyapple red paint.
2002 F250
2005 Suzuki SV650S
My Mustang
Doug67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.