Making Fiberglass Molds With Clay - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2002, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sorry for repeating this again. Its just that I would really like to use clay to make the apron because its easy to work with and I was hoping to get something that is soft and dries hard. I was wandering for making a mold for my fiberglass front apron. Can I use clay or something. Because I was reading the Mustang Monthly article on Eleanor and they used clay for there design and i was wandering if I could do that because it would be real easy to work with and see what Im trying to do. So I any help would be greatful. Thanks Guys. Once again sorry for repeating.

John
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2002, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Absolutely, I work at the Ford Desing Center and we use clay all day long. You can use modeling clay. Don't forget to spray the clay with a parting agent before you layup the fiberglass.
jsgarron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2002, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

This would be a 2 part process. Create the body part that you want. Smooth it and make it look like you want. Apply the releasing agent, apply your fiberglass. Now you have a "negative" mold. You apply the releasing agent to the "negative" mold and apply your fiberglass for the body part you want.
Dave
65 Fastback,289,holley 1850,Edlelbrock performer 289,Power heads,T-5 z series,8"2.80 rear,Canadian Mustang "Real Big Kit",Fuel Safe fuel cell,70 highback seats,SSB dual MC front disks, Stainless steel brakelines,pertronix points/coil,3 row radiator.
DMORRISON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2002, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hottarod

The way I have always seen this done is that you model the thing in clay. You don't have to make a huge clay lump. You could model the clay onto an existing valance with the part cut out that you want to be open. Once you have the clay shape the way you want it you then make a mold of the clay thing using plaster of paris. When the plaster of paris dries you remove it from your clay model and you then have a mold you can lay down flat. You may have to touch up your mold in a few spots. You lay your fiberglass into the plaster of paris mold which gives you a reproduction of your original clay shape. I'm not sure what you put on the inside of the plaster of paris mold to keep the fiberglass from sticking to it.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to my69mach

What we used to use when we made clay models is first build a subframe using wood and the dense blue styrofoam and coat that with Gesso. The clay was kept at a constant temperature which was almost too hot to touch. I can't remember the actual temperature. Then placing the warm clay on the gesso (art supply store) mold working it to a smooth finish was the technique we would use. The clay was usually an inch or 2 thick.
I'm not sure what you should use as a parting agent but I think a floor wax paste would work.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.