69 Boss 429 up for sale - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

One of the local specialty car dealers has a Candy Apple Red 69 Boss 429 up for sale. Asking price is $49,995 (oh heck, call it $50K). I went back yesterday for a second look because I was too dazzled on the first pass. I'm a serious buyer only needing about $47K more to take this one home, so I wasn't wasting their time. Boy, was I disappointed. The engine compartment was a real mess. All the components were covered with a patina of crud and general dirt. The valve covers were real clean, though. The paint was badly spiderwebbed where the roof meets the rear quarter on both sides. The owner had drilled a hole through the left front fender to accommodate a key lock. The driver's side door panel was chewed up. The deck lid looked like someone had plinked it about three times with something heavy. The valance panel was a GT instead of the correct standard piece. The exhausts had 70 Mach I square tips instead of the proper turndowns. And finally, to complete the 70 Mach I rear effect, the taillight panel had been painted matte black. The guy showing me the car says "What do ya think? This car worth $43K?" I say that CPI shows a good one is worth $38,600 and an excellent is worth $64,600. His buddy says "One sold at Barrett-Jackson recently for $85,000." I replied that an old car is worth what somebody will pay for it and this one isn't anything that would make the floor at Barrett-Jackson or even a solid "good" on the CPI rating system. I can't imagine anyone having a significant car like that and not keeping it in pristine condition. I am amazed, though, at the number of these 69 Boss 429's that are turning up at car shows locally here in the SF Bay Area. IIRC there were about 840 69's built for homolgation (?sp) purposes by Ford to qualify the cars for racing. Most of the survivors must live here. I've been at local shows where more than one is present.

69 Vert
69 SportsRoof
00 Camaro Z28
RagTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2002, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is this a consignment dealer? Just curious. If not, I'll bet this guy bought it for a pretty modest price. He'll probably hang on to it until someone gives him what he wants. You know it is only a matter of time before someone with more money than sense comes along. Either that, or the value of those cars will continue to rise until we no longer think that price is out of line.
As great as it would be to own a Boss 429, I will stick with the mass-produced cars that I can have fun in & don't have to worry about preserving the value & history of the car. That, and I'll keep poking my head into every barn I come across - just in case there's something special inside. *g*
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Funny thing about Boss 429's is that they score a 10 on sex appeal but they really were'nt very streetable cars. I've talked to sevaral owners who complained that they are'nt half the fun to drive that they would appear to be...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't say that! You're ruining my dream [IMG]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG].

I hope to someday own a Boss 429 or a Shelby. I do like the sex appeal part though.

[color:"#00FF00"]S-Code Registry and Forums[/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]See My Convertible[/color]

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...70_22_full.jpg
67Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

You know I think some of these Boss 9 owners bought there cars at high end of market and somehow believe there worth that still or they hear of car selling like at Barrett-Jackson and than there sure they still own a gold mine.

There's a Grabber Blue 70 thats been housed at the shop where my car is worked on, its sat there for 10 years, just an average car at best with bad engine compartment, rust in usuall places, interior needs doing also trunk, No smog and Rev limieter, Headers just about a 6 at best, Not a hard resto but need complete job. I tried to buy it a couple years ago and the owner held firm to there 60K number I was offering about 30K maybe a little low but much closer than there number. This woman has not even seen the car in 10 years but her good friend tells her its worth alot of money and I must be trying to take advantatge of her. Oh Well
Strange thing its also in General SF Area.

Mark

No Fear, No Doubt / All In, Balls Out
Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1eOzcQWIWI

65 Restomod-Clone"Venom"
347 EFI Supercharger 551RWHP

70 Boss 302 50K original Grabber Orange
MYTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Ken . . . I know of a '69 Boss 429 here in the Bay Area . . . garage kept, only 38,000 ORIGINAL miles! Factory Mint!

It's been for sale now for quite some time . . . $60k. I'd tell you where it is, but I'm saving up [IMG]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG]!! (I need to get a garage at my house, too, to keep it in [IMG]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/IMG])

Rick
"Yesterday, the bottom fell out of my world, so I drank 8 pints of Felinfoel Ale and this morning, the world fell out of my bottom." -Haydn Croft
67gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Boy, would I beg to differ you on that! It was the best handling/ performance car, I ever owned.
Lzydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Back in late '69, I bought a new '70 Boss 302 drag pack. When I first went to look at it, there was a Burgandy Boss 429 setting right next to it...I drove the Boss 302, then the Boss 429. I really wasn't inpressed with the Boss 429, but, it was a big block....List on it was about $400.00 more than the 302...Payment was about $12.00 more a month.....Then I called my insurance man....Insurance was almost $1200.00 more a year than the Boss 302, cause the 302 was a small engine......I bought the Boss 302.....but, I still wonder about buying the Boss 429...did I do the right thing......Oh well, like I said, long time ago.
[image]http://www.southernmustangandford.com/IMG_3807.JPG[image]
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2002, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rick: Is it a Black Jade '69 that is in Hayward? If it is he only wanted about $30,000 back in 1988!

1969 Indian Fire SportsRoof
1969 Lime Gold 428 CJ Grande 1 of 37
1989 Black GT Convertible 22K miles
2006 Dark Toreador Red F-250 Lariat PSD CC 2WD
MCA # 24108
69grandecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2002, 01:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, you're half-right[IMG]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG]. It's in Hayward, but it's Wimbledon White[IMG]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/IMG]! It's at a shop . . . the shop owner acquired it quite a number of years ago . . . something about "I can't pay, so take the car instead??[IMG]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/IMG]". Anyway, it's been sitting, untouched for a while and all it needs is a good wash and cobweb removal. Did I mention, "I'm saving up??"[IMG]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/IMG]

Rick
"Yesterday, the bottom fell out of my world, so I drank 8 pints of Felinfoel Ale and this morning, the world fell out of my bottom." -Haydn Croft
67gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

There are a couple of Boss 9's around here. Say what you want about their handling characteristics, (or the lack of) but when one pulls into a car show and the hood is opened up, there is nothing like the sight of that huge engine and those valve covers to draw attention to the car.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Nine year old posts should stay dead. I looked at the date when the prices in the original post were so low.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hey, he is new and was probably just looking up BOSS cars, give him a break
Stevea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Nine year old posts should stay dead. I looked at the date when the prices in the original post were so low.

Pretty funny, I didn't notice that either!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Some forum software has a feature that locks posts after a certain time. As a board moderator myself, I hate interfering with any conversation the users care to have, but I've seen a rash of new posts on really, really old topics on several boards lately, and having the system give a heads-up would be nice. I'll stop rambling now.
Max68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.