Dual point Ford distributor timing - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

What is the setting for timing of the dual point distributor?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there, WELCOME to the VMF. Please fill out your profile so we can better answer your questions or at least mention what year car and engine you have when posting.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hookup your dwell meter and block off one set of points, set the working set for 25 degrees. Block off the other set and set remaining points to 25 degrees as well. Check it again with both sets working and you should get around 33 degrees. That's how I set mine anyway.

Jason
1988 Chevrolet K1500
JLester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2002, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi and welcome to VMF! Jason's got it about right as far as setting the dwell on the dual points. You can use a piece of matchbook cover to blockoff one set at a time. If you're asking about engine timing, just set the same as with a single point distributor. Please fill out your profile, too!
Rich Riley MCA #03568
'70 Drag Pack Mach 1
'93 5.0 LX Hatchback
'98 Cobra Coupe
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/97/D3/9140...-013300E5-.jpg

rickoshay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

The timing does not change due to using single or dual points. It is the same. However the dwell is a function of both sets of points. Dwell is the time the points stay closed and since both sets are wired in parallel, the dwell time is increased. This allows the magnetic field in the coil to saturate at higher rpm than would be possible with only a single points set. The end result is the coil voltage (spark) doesn't drop off as fast at high rpm. To adjust the points, one "blocks off" one set and sets the dwell of the remaining set just as if they were single points. Dwell of a single set is set to about 28 degrees. Then the adjusted set is "blocked off" and the remaining set is adjusted for the same dwell angle, about 28 degrees. The "blocker" is then removed and the dwell is rechecked. The combined dwell should be about 33 degrees. After dwell is satisfactory, timing is set in the traditional fashion, typically 6 degrees BTDC with vaccuum advance plugged and the engine run not greater than 600 rpm.
If the engine won't idle down to 600 rpm then set the timing at 1 degree more per 100 rpm. Example if the engine runs at 1000 rpm lowest, then set the timing 4 degrees more advanced. (1000-600=400), 400/100=4 degrees more advance. Why 1 degree per 100 rpm? Total advance for most cars is 24 degrees mechanical. This occurs at 3000 rpm. 3000-600=2400rpm difference. 2400rpm/24degrees=100rpm/degree. If the car has no vaccuum advance, 1.5 degrees per 100 rpm is more appropriate.

geegee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2002, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

When you say "block off" you mean stuffing the match book between the points so it won't make contact while adjusting and running the other one checking it's dwell time? I'm a little confused here and I'll need this info now that I have a '65 coupe which someone stuffed in a replacement Motorcraft dual point distributor. 'Course, now that I think about it, the engine needs overhaul anyway and that would be the time to cram in the correct single point unit with the vacuum advance diaphragm (thinking out loud - bad habit of mine).

Thanks in advance,

Dean T

Still Inline (and still offline)!

Dean_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.