MUSTANG 427 DOHC ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

I REMEMBER SEEING A 67 OR 68 MUSTANG IN A CAR MAG. IN THE LATE 70'S(could have been mustang monthy?)IT HAD A ORIGINAL 427 DOHC MOTOR IN IT,DON'T KNOW THE ENGINE CODE,BUT IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE ORIGINAL AND EXTREMELY RARE.DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THIS CAR? DOES IT EXIST AND DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ARTICLE?
68 Shelby GT350R restomod clone,dss probullet 308,afr185 heads,lentech street terminator plus aod 370-9" tractionlok. http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...889_7_full.jpgDon't ask if its real ! Because if you don't know then it is!hwsamiam@aol.com[color:"red"]click for pics[/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/stangfever1
stangfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2002, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

A couple of a/fx cars will built looking like the 1965 fastback. They had 427 SOHC in them
Old 04-07-2002, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

From what little I have read about this motor, I don't know if it was ever supposed to be put in a mustang. From my readings, it is a SOHC motor, not DOHC. Rare is an understatement. The 8v version of this engine put out 657HP and 575lb/ft of torque. Not too shabby. As for the cars it was put in ?. Hopefully somebody knows and will tell us.
daveoxide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

As far As I know Ford never put the SOHC 427 in a Mustang from the factory. I have seen some converions over the years. What a monster that would be. A couple of months ago I talked to a retired district service manager for Phila, area, He worked in Dearborn in the mid-sixties on the GT-40 project. He rememers on the "on-grounds used car lot" there was a one -off 1966 Comet Cyclone convertible built for Gus Grissom with a SOHC 427 in it. Gus didn't like it, so off to the lot ot went. $4800 in 1966 dollars, sounds expensive. Somewhere out there is a real gem. as far as other cars with that engine, .

Don
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ford developed the 427 for NASCAR. it was to compete against the Dodge 426 Hemi. But NASCAR intervined to stop the shananigans and told Ford to forget it. The HP races between Ford and Dodge were getting out of hand.

The 427 never saw light of day in any production car. If it had, my guess would have been the Galaxy....I don't think it would have fit in anything else. Ford developed the 427 SOHC in 90 days!

As a consolation, NASCAR let Ford change the heads on the 427 to the famous "Tunnel port" heads. The intake ports are about the size of a baseball, no b.s.!

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Someone told me theres about 20 some feet of timing chain in those motors. Couldnt verify that but I suppose thats possible if theres a dual chain and it goes up and around those cams.
MYTANG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here it is in all it's glory. In 1969 Danny Ongais drove Mickey Thompsons Mach 1 with this motor in it. He won almost every Funny Car event that season. Hubert Platt's "Georgia Shaker" (at least one version of it) also had this motor and ran in Pro Stock in 1970.

Old 04-07-2002, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think they ever made it into production cars, but some individuals got a hold of them and put them into street cars. There was a 427 Cobra that ran around the S.F. Bay area in the 70's that had a S.O.H.C. in it. I believe it was known as the flip-top Cobra because the whole front end was modified to flip up, ala Corvette. Don't know what ever happend to that car though.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

There where no mustangs made with any kind of a 427 in them. There was a 427 , hydraulic lifter engine, 390 horse power installed in the 1968 Cougar GTE. There was 357 of them produced. The 427 tunnel port was used in the GT- 40 to go over and kick butt in France at Lemans.
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

you are correct it was a sohc motor,its been a long time since I've had any thought on this motor.i saw a 67 shelby race version at a kruse international auction a while back that had the 427 sohc motor transplanted into it.it brought the value down quite a bit not being original.the article I read was in the late seventies.it was a documented 427 sohc car either a 67 or 68 fastback.I wish I would have saved my old magazines.anyone who still has theirs take a look when you get time.this was really a amazing car
68 Shelby GT350R restomod clone,dss probullet 308,afr185 heads,lentech street terminator plus aod 370-9" tractionlok. http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...889_7_full.jpgDon't ask if its real ! Because if you don't know then it is!hwsamiam@aol.com[color:"red"]click for pics[/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/stangfever1
stangfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2002, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

I believe these were also called "cammer engines". I saw one in a 65-66 galaxie last year.....got a great pic of the engine. It was at the carlisle show.

2000 GT...5-speed...29mpg

1964 1/2 Coupe...long term project
johns69fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2002, 02:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

I do believe that the GT40 car sported the "cammer" SOHC 427
at the lemans race, It was after this race, that Enzo Ferrari pulled his team of ferarris out of the competition!

As for Mopar and Ford Shinannigans, Chrysler threatened to go DOHC on the 426 hemi engine because the 427 SOHC was too much for it to handle......and yes, chrylser got its way, little snibbling.....#$#^^$

:-)
Old 04-08-2002, 07:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

No, the Cammer was not used in the 427 GT-40 Lemans cars. (Check the GT-40 registry or the Shelby registry).
It was installed in Mustangs at Holman-Moody for the A-FX class, first in regular bodies and later in the so-called "long nose" versions...
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2002, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

As I'm sure you've gathered by now, the 427 "Cammer" was never installed by Ford in a production car. It was originally slated to be installed in the 65 Galaxies, and Ford went as far as making sales literature using pre-production "mules" for the photos. But the factory installations went no further than outsourced A/FX 65 (and maybe 66) fastbacks. Bill France pulled the plug on NASCAR homologation of the engine, and Ford scuttled the whole project.

There were, however, quite a few of these engines sold to competive drag-race teams back in the mid-60s and they consequently ended up in all kinds of car bodies. IIRC, Connie Kallita, was the first to break 200 in the quarter in a "rail" powered by a cammer, back in 66 or 67.

A number of these engines survive today. In fact, the machinist who did my car's Windsor, campaigns a 56 T-Bird that sports a cammer in local drag races. He has two of the engines and the second is being built for his next 1/4-mile project, a Mustang II. I also saw one installed in a 63 Galaxie last summer at a show. No doubt, some of these engines have found their way into 67-68 Mustangs, but never as a production item, as far as I know.
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2002, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

There is a 427 equipped 68 over here in Switzerland and it is W stamped, however Marti's report revealed, it did not left the factory as a W code. Anyway it has some really strange codings, we are still trying to get the fog out of that specific history with the Mustang Club of Swizerland.
(Sorry, no other facts to be yet posted here, just believe it or not)
T5owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.