Ford Racing Camshafts, Need help/info/experience - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to RaSMG

I'm bulding a 302 and am trying to decide whcih cam to put in. I can't really build the engine I want yet(347 torque monster) cause of budget but buying a mid size cam matched with arms and whatnot will leave me lots of room for expansion. I know that Ford has the A303, B303, E303, F303, X303, and Z303 cams but I can't find any information on like a low end vs top end chart or streeatble vs track car chart. My buddy got a B303 in his 5.0 and it sounds wicked mean, it's got a nice lopey idle but I'm not sure what kind of power it added cause he didn't do anything else. I want to go "one step" above his .. I'm just not sure which one to get. This is going to be a daily driver but I want some serious low end torque and performance out of it. Does it go alphabetically like A, B, E, F, X, Z ? I know X and Z are for drag/oval track use ONLY so I don't wanna flatten it. What would be a good choice. And don't tell me to go with crane or edelbrock cause I get a good deal on ford parts .. and they're dependable and warrantied usually. Also what would I need to "match" it short of expensive block/head work. Like I said, I'm having a guy rebuild me a 302 but I want to hand him FEW things to put in. A ford cam, ford racing roller rocker arms(1.6 or 1.7?) but what else would I need to match a "midsize" cam to a "stock" engine that will be added to later on? Muchos gracias.
1993 Taurus SHO - Beater
RaSMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

First off, there's no A303.
You can't find a chart "on like a low end vs top end...or streetable vs track car" because that's all dependent on everything else in your motor including the heads, intake, carb, exhaust, valvetrain, etc. You can't determine an engine's characteristics just by a cam's profile.

Here are the FRPP cams...
M-6250-A311 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft for High Torque Below 4000 RPM
M-6250-A312 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-A331- Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-A332 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-A341- Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-A351- Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-D - Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-M50 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft

Roller
M-6250-B303 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-E303 - "Street Legal" (E.O. #D-225-16) Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-F303 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-X303 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft
M-6250-Z303 - Small Block V-8 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft

B-303
Rocker ratio: 1.60, Intake events (0.50') open 5 degrees BTC, closed 39 degrees ABC, Exhaust events (0.50') open 49 degrees BBC, closed 5 degrees ATC, duration intake 284 or 224 degrees, exhaust 284 or 224 degrees, Lift lobe .300 I or .300 E, valve .480 or .480 E. Lobe center intake 107 degrees, exhaust 117 degrees

E-303
Rocker ratio: 1.60, Intake events (0.50') open 0 degrees BTC, closed 40 degrees ABC, Exhaust events (0.50') open 40 degrees BBC, closed 0 degrees ATC, duration intake 282 or 220 degrees, exhaust 282 or 220 degrees, Lift lobe .311 I or .311 E, valve .498 or .498 E. Lobe center intake 110 degrees, exhaust 110 degrees.

F-303
Rocker ratio: 1.60, Intake events (0.50') open 4 degrees BTC, closed 42 degrees ABC, Exhaust events (0.50') open 52 degrees BBC, closed 6 degrees BTC, duration intake 288 or 226 degrees, exhaust 288 or 226 degrees, Lift lobe .320 I or .320 E, valve .512 or .512 E. Lobe center intake 109 degrees, exhaust 119 degrees

X-303
Rocker ratio: 1.60, Intake events (0.50') open 5 degrees BTC, closed 39 degrees ABC, Exhaust events (0.50') open 49 degrees BBC, closed 5 degrees BTC, duration intake 286 or 224 degrees, exhaust 286 or 224 degrees, Lift lobe .339 I or .339 E, valve .542 or .542 E. Lobe center intake 107 degrees, exhaust 117 degrees

Z-303
Rocker ratio: 1.60, Intake events (0.50') open 7 degrees BTC, closed 41 degrees ABC, Exhaust events (0.50') open 51 degrees BBC, closed 3 degrees BTC, duration intake 290 or 228 degrees, exhaust 290 or 228 degrees, Lift lobe .345 I or .345 E, valve .552 or .552 E. Lobe center intake 107 degrees, exhaust 117 degrees

The B-303 cam is big for a stock street-driven daily driver...too big for your "serious low end torque and performance" requirement. And no, the cams do not go alphabetically.

But, before you even consider a cam, what year 302 block do you have? You can only use roller cams (B-303 - Z-303) if you have a late-model roller block (1985-up??). If you have an old block, you need to get a retrofit cam with smaller base circles so the lifters won't come out of the block due to roller lifters being taller than flat lifters. Late model blocks have taller lifter bosses to accomodate the taller lifters.

And don't tell me what to recommend to you, at least not in the way you did. In fact, my only recommendation is a Comp Cam or Crane Cam if you want a roller in an old block.

And to "match" it "short of expensive block/head work", you need to replace those cheap stock heads and intake. Why are you using roller rockers on a stock motor? I don't see any logic in that. Why don't you put on some fancy clear taillights and a carbon fiber spoiler while you're at it?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit peeved at the way you demanded an answer instead of asking the advice of the many people on this forum. Not a great way to start.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2002, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for your help mike .. i didn't mean to make it sound like that .. i said in the topic need help/info, i was going to put advise but i didn't want to make a real long topic. i'll look into the block and see what kind of cam it will accomodate.
1993 Taurus SHO - Beater
Old 04-26-2002, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to kketell Send a message via AIM to kketell Send a message via MSN to kketell Send a message via Yahoo to kketell

Woh Mike, take it easy. You are gonna give yourself a heart attack.

Nice work on the chart tho. Very kind of you to go to all that effort.

http://www.kkpony.com/images/vmfsig-402b.jpg
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...nyengine-1.jpg
It's your car, dammit.
Do what makes you happy
kketell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2002, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Uh oh, I seem to have over reacted again? [IMG]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/IMG] Maybe I could have done it without the ricer talk.

I guess I'm too demanding in wanting people to sound nice and acting as if the advice on this forum is a luxury, which it is. I need to go home and take a nap. That'll cure my ailments.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I recommend the A311 and A312 almost universally here for street driven cars...

Why? Because there's plenty of performance potential in them without the driveability and maintenance drawbacks.

I run an A333 in the race car and, by racing standards, it's quite mild...note the cars performance..

Yes, it'll idle almost like a stocker when warmed up....folks never heard me in the lanes (mufflers) nor when I went by them in the lights...

Outline what you wish to do with the car and what your budget is and what year the 302 is you wish to rebuild and maybe we can help further.

Good luck!
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2002, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I thought the original post was polite, with a thank you at the end.

Your post was arrogant and condesending, albeit informative technically.

Hope you've had your nap.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

As far as the block, I'm not quite sure the year or anything. I'm still working on getting the casting #'s to check. My dad knows a guy who tows cars and whatnot, if they don't payback the fees or the insurance or whatever he sells em to the junkyard as shells so he has a few engines lying around. This is supposedly a 302 from a mercury with a 4v intake manifold and carb. I'm going to sell that intake plus the one I have now at a swap meet and I might be able to get a nice edelbrock performer 302 and put on my holley 650. My goal is to have a daily driver that gets decent mileage(10+) around town and have fun when I need to. I'm not going to go into detail of what that involves but a 347 should keep me happy. The budget is the reason why I'm asking for advise. My 289 is smoking and whatnot now .. it's almost dead. I actually got a letter in the mail from the CA emissions control somethi ng or another that says someone saw my car smoke real bad(probably on a downshift) and they said to take care of it cause they're going to be getting more and more strict in the following years. So .. I'm looking at building a nice 302 for now that has room for expansion. I will eventually get aluminum heads and probably convert to EFI and all that but for now, I am jsut going to give the guy a few parts that he can put in so I don't have to take apart the whole block later. I know the cam is a good start, so that's why I was asking. Like I said I like the way the b303 sounds at idle and it may be the right choice. I'm just asking for opinions if anyone's tried any of the other ford racing ones. Camachinist .. who makes the a311 .. sounds neat .. but my car isn't going to be like your dragster .. yet (uhoh). Thanks again for your responses .. it's at least showing me my optiong.
1993 Taurus SHO - Beater
Old 04-26-2002, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

The A311 and A312 are SVO (Ford) camshaft grinds (likely outsourced to someone like Crane Cams)...

You can purchase them and most other Ford Racing Parts from Summit (if you can't get them through your contact)...

Here is a Catalog page from Dallas Mustang in .pdf format...

Look under Ford Racing for part numbers 6075 and 6076...those are the A311 and A312, respectively...

I'd suggest committing all your research to paper and fleshing out the entire combo before going out and buying anything...plan first, then execute..*G*

Regarding your current smoking problem...if a compression test and/or leakdown test confirm failing piston rings, then a rebuild or replacement is in order. If it's just bad valve guides in the heads, you might be able to repair them and keep the car going for a while longer.

If you have any more questions, post...
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.