HEAVY DUTY front springs - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-28-2002, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Well I got my Canadian Mustang sourced 620 front springs in and they are STOUT. Even with both arms, the strut rods and the 1" sway bar installed the upper arms are STILL down as far as they can go, resting on the pinch weld of the frame rail. I've got the car supported on jack stands and the sprindles are so low to the ground that installing a wheel/tire will not be possible right now. Is this normal with new HD springs? I supppose I could place a floor jack under the lower arm to compress the suspension to get the tire on, but will my Mustang's nose be pointed toward the stratosphere? Maybe it'll "settle down" after I take it out for a drive.... but yikes. Any similar experiences/advice/reassurance? TIA.

BTW the car has a pro-motorsports negative wedge installed.

65 Fastback 289 4spd, 3.40 Traction Loc, Granadas, Flaming River QR box, Pro Motorsports neg wedge kit and springs, VIntage 45's, 225/50/16 SP8000s, I NEED A NEW DOOR!
02 Sentra SE-R Spec V, "No officer I wasn't speeding, after all I just drive a Sentra."
Mike_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have almost the same setup. When I installed my 620's I could do it without the spring compressor. The springs were that much shorter then the stock ones. Are you sure the spring is seated all the way?

BillGear,

Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2002, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the 620s (although they were from Branda) on the Fastback and there was little or no spring compression necessary to install them. In fact, I used the extra thick insulators to maintain some ride height and wouldn't want the front end any lower.

66 Fastback Restomod (342 stroker, T5 12.8 @ 112 mph)
85 GT Hatchback
2008 Bullitt
BernieFrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2002, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

On my 70' I had to use spring compressor to install. It rode at almost the same height as the stock spring because the stock spring would compress more under the weight of the car. It didn't raise the front up like that though. Maybe your old springs were weak. You should have about two are three fingers of space above stock tires to the fenderlip. I cut 1 1/2 inch off of mine to lower the front to what you see below. I need beefier shocks now.
70Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.