Andover 3-point seat belts in '66 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone done this? I am looking at installing 3 point seatbelts in the front of my '66 coupe. I've looked at Andover's web site and have made a preliminary decision on which seat belt to buy, but since they have many choices, I was wondering if anyone had already done this and which catalog number they purchased.

Welding in the upper mount should be pretty easy, so I'm not worried about that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2002, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

What is the URL to the web site?
cam65fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2002, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.andoauto.com/

Old 06-05-2002, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm using Andover belts front and rear. Installation was pretty easy, and they work great. I used part # WS06B. Check out my pictures here.
PCH_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2002, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I installed the Andover 3pt belts in the front of my '67. When mounting the pivot to the door jam, get the belts with the short pivot. When mounting the pivot to the roof, get the belts with the long pivot. I mounted my pivot to the roof. Welding is involved for pre'68ish. If I were to do it again I'd mount it to the door jam.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

OK, the Andover belts looks like the picture.

Notice the long metal tang on the floor anchor. I am concerned that this will put the flexible part of the belt a little too far forward and be a little uncomfortable.

How do your belts fit alongside the door?

I think the upper anchor point is the way to go. Harder to do, but I think safer.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Found your web site....

Nice installation.

OOPs, forgot geocities sites don't post.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

This photo is showing you several variations. The top belt has the long upper pivot mount. The second belt has the short upper pivot mount. The left retractor is for a lap belt. The upper middle is for either harness, with the plastic cover. The lower middle is a little longer than the upper middle, without the plastic cover. The right belt is part of the lap belt.

I haven't had a problem with the "long metal tang" on the floor anchor. It's hardly noticeable between the door jam and the side of the seat. It doesn't affect comfort, and I keep my seat all the way back. I'll try and take some photos this weekend. Send me a reminder.

I have noticed, with the upper anchor point, that the belt chafes my neck a bit. Even with the long upper pivot. I will buy some belt covers when I find some I like.

BTW, the belts don't come with hardware for the upper pivot mount. I bought some seatbelt bolts from the junk yard. Ended up using metric bolts from a late model Bonneville. This was the only bolt the correct length and diameter, allowing it to actually pivot. Depending on how you fabricate your upper mount, you might be able to use a different bolt.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

In reply to:

This photo is showing you several variations. The top belt has the long upper pivot mount. The second belt has the short upper pivot mount. The left retractor is for a lap belt. The upper middle is for either harness, with the plastic cover. The lower middle is a little longer than the upper middle, without the plastic cover. The right belt is part of the lap belt.

Right, I knew what items were what. Just using the picture for conversational purposes.

In reply to:

I haven't had a problem with the "long metal tang" on the floor anchor. It's hardly noticeable between the door jam and the side of the seat. It doesn't affect comfort, and I keep my seat all the way back. I'll try and take some photos this weekend. Send me a reminder.

No need for the photos unless your really bored this weekend. Your web site photos actually answer my questions fairly well. If I had bothered to check your profile before posting, I would have answered my own questions.

In reply to:

I have noticed, with the upper anchor point, that the belt chafes my neck a bit. Even with the long upper pivot. I will buy some belt covers when I find some I like.

I think that if the upper mount is moved further forward, it would be more comfortable. That will be my goal. It will be harder to get the upper mounting plate snaked up through all the sheet metal, but its doable.

In reply to:

BTW, the belts don't come with hardware for the upper pivot mount. I bought some seatbelt bolts from the junk yard. Ended up using metric bolts from a late model Bonneville. This was the only bolt the correct length and diameter, allowing it to actually pivot. Depending on how you fabricate your upper mount, you might be able to use a different bolt.

I plan on making my own upper plate due to the tight location. I will use a grade 8 bolt welded to a backing plate. The Federal Motor Vehicle Standard (part 209 and 210) give guidlines for seat belt attachments, which are actually helpful.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I figured YOU knew what each of the items were, I was just describing them for other folks.

I welded my upper mount in the same location as an original '68. Mine being a '67. Once you get your headliner out you'll see there really isn't a better place to mount it without modifying the sheetmetal structure of the roof frame.

I made my plate out of 3/8" thick cold rolled steel. The seatbelt bolt I used has a short shoulder that fits thru the hole in the upper pivot mount. The shoulder bottoms out on the mount plate and allows the pivot to, well, pivot. You plan on using this grade8 bolt as a stud? You won't have a shoulder unless you use a bushing, but then you'll have to use a smaller diameter bolt. I'd rather use a seatbelt bolt with a shoulder.

Do you have a link to these federal vehicle codes?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Look at this article for a seat belt upper mount in a '66. This is further forward than the '68 style mount. Since my headliner is out, I should be able to do this. I'll check this weekend and make sure you really can fish the plate up from behind. A cursory inspection indicates this should work.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/s.../seatbelt.html

I mis-spoke about the grade 8 stud. I doubt you could fish the plate up with a stud welded to it. I will use a steel plate with a high quality nut on the back side. I should be able the use a common '66 Mustang seat belt bolt for the bolt. It does have a shoulder. I need to wait to see the belts to make sure that it fits. (Never start the fabrication of a project without all the parts on hand!). A backup plan is to use a shoulder bolt. I can order quite a number of unusual bolts through sources at work. Not cheap, but you only need two.

A 3/8 backing plate is overkill. If you got the room, why not, but I will be using thinner stock.

For the Motor Vehicle Standards, go to

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/index.html#page1

and search for "49CFR571" including the quotes. The last article is the full citation. Get the PDF version, its larger, but more readable. About 5 Mbytes. The list will also include smaller "parts" of the full citation. You could just get parts 209 and 210. You'll see what I mean when you do the search.

Sorry, I don't have an easier way. I had a hard time finding it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hey, Thanks for sharing very useful link... Actually I also needed 3 point seatbelts... I was very confuse for buying this... then suddenly one of my friend told me about your post.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.