best modern seats for a '66 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have really been thinking about adding high backed bucket seats to my '66 coupe. I went junkyarding and I didn't really see anything that I thought would fit. I did find some nice prelude seats but I wasn't sure if they would fit because the seat tracks are on the side of the seat. I am looking for suggestions on what seats look/fit/and cost the best. Thanks for your input.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2002, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used 98 gt seats and used my old tracks. You just have to drill new holes for the ones that don't match and bend the adjuster arm more straight out than down. I love them!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I put '97 GT leather seats in my '72 vert using the original '72 seat tracks. It was easy to do. Came back later and replaced the manual seat tracks with the original power 4-way track under the driver seat. It took some modification to the seat track in order to bolt it to the floor. I picked up another power seat track and switch for the passenger seat. Ended up with dual front power seats with a driver's side power lumbar. Also, both seats recline. I think it's a neat resto-mod using late model Mustang parts.
73 H-code Conv (present project)
73 Q-code Conv (future project)
MCA 60600
jeffdeq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2002, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I used 88 t-bird ones, but like copester said, you just use your old seat tracks and drill 1 hole and everything bolts in. The new ones recline and mine even had the inflatable lumbar!
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles Invited by Ford to SEMA
08 Coupe
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
200 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
PonyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2002, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
DON

I have Honda Prelude seats in my 65 convert and all I had to do to mount them was elongate one hole in each track and straighter out the adjustment lever, using the stock tracks from the Mustang. My mounting was on the botttom of the seat though. I think it was an early 80's Prelude. My only problem is that the seats do not go far enough back. I use them all the way back and I am only five foot eight.
DON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Import seats in my Ford...not likely.
I have a set of over the counter Ford Motorsports seats in mine. These are also known as SVO seats, but have the halo head rest.
Original tracks bolt right on, so they bolt right in.

Be aware that puting any modern seat in a Mustnag will most raise you up and force you forward. Why?
The foam is so much stiffer that you don't sink in like in the old seats. I lost over 1.5 inches due to stiff foam and springs.
I'm tall (6'5") so I did the seat platform lower.

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/bossbill
(Click on Seat Lowering setion)

BossBill
Old 07-14-2002, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Import seats in my Ford...not likely.
I have a set of over the counter Ford Motorsports seats in mine. These are also known as SVO seats, but have a halo head rest.
Original tracks bolt right on, so they bolt right in.

Be aware that putting any modern seat in a Mustang will most likely raise you up and force you forward. Why?
The foam is so much stiffer that you don't sink in like in the old seats. I lost over 1.5 inches due to stiff foam and springs.
I'm tall (6'5") so I did the seat platform lower, too

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/bossbill
(Click on Seat Lowering section)

BossBill
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.