can't remove rusted brake lines - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-10-2002, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Almost all the connections on my break lines are badly rusted. I try to turn the nuts that connect the hard lines to the flexible ones, but they're so tight that the hard lines start to flex before the nut will budge. I've tried soaking them with WD-40, but with no luck. Any tricks to get these things apart?

thanks,

matt k.
elmateo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2002, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

A hacksaw. If they are that bad, replace them. You probably have rust on the inside of the lines if they are that bad on the outside. You can make your own or buy prebent stainless steel from a vendor like Classic tube. I was very happy with there product. the Stainless steel are great, but you can't make them, you can't make the flares. You could buy tubing from whetneys and bend your own. I tried that and wound up buying from Classic tube.
Dave
65 Fastback,289,holley 1850,Edlelbrock performer 289,Power heads,T-5 z series,8"2.80 rear,Canadian Mustang "Real Big Kit",Fuel Safe fuel cell,70 highback seats,SSB dual MC front disks, Stainless steel brakelines,pertronix points/coil,3 row radiator.
DMORRISON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2002, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

He's right, if the lines are that bad your gonna want to replace them anyway. Hack away.
Now, if for some reason your trying to save them, the only way I know of is to use a tubing wrech and work it back and forth. The WD is a good idea, but if their toast their toast.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Old mechanics trick, with a propane plumbers torch, heat the outside of the fitting nut, have a cup of cool water and wrench handy, cool it quickly by dumping the water on and then apply the wrench quickly-the line will usually break loose of the fitting.If still a little tight repeat, or apply some penetrating oil-DB blaster works great. Like others have said, if line is very rust on outside, it may not be worth saving.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had this problem myself, i wouldn't even bother with hack saw, just a pare of side cutters will do it.

-John
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.