has anyone used rust converter by klean-strip? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

i went to an auto paint supply store today to get phosphoric acid to neutralize/remove some surface rust on the back of my fenders. they didn't carry the acid, but they had a product called rust converter, made by klean-strip. it says it "turns rust to black primer." it also says it "dries to a hard, sandable, paintable primer." it costs about $6 for a 10.25oz aerosol can. has anyone used this? how well does it work? thanks.

"You're almost as big as you say you are." -obsidianspider
jmoffett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

i'm from the old school of body work,i just can't accept you paint something on and hocus pocus the rust is gone,all thats left is sandable primer.i know alot of guys use it but when i'm doing a resto i use a lot of navel jelly on parts that are not rusted through,just keep putting it on and wire brushing it till it's nothing but shiney clean metal.then prime with epoxy primer. if you sandblast you are decreasing the thickness of the metal a little and if your in a rusty area you'll have nothing but pinholes. i get my navel jelly at oriellys or you can get a ppg metal prep that sprays on,a little harder to keep wet.por 15 also has a metal prep? larry
Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think that stuff is what you want. Those finishes (and it is a finish, not a rust remover) supposedly "seal" rust and keep it from spreading. Naval Jelly is a fair alternative and I have even seen a liquid (like OxySolv) version of it.
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I used muratic acid on the front end I purchased for the 62. It had set under a tree and paint had worn off and it had plenty of surface rust. The muratic acid did the trick and brought it back to bright shiny metal. You can get it at any pool supply or drugstore...

Ray KS
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
Ray_Hillebrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I used that stuff on the floorpan in my dodge, it will only work if you get it really clean. It sprays on clear, and dries black so you will know if it worked or not. Problem is you have to get it so clean, you may as well just sand the rust off to begin with. I won't be wasting my money on that stuff anymore. I did my whole floor, and only had a few pebble sized spots of black appear, otherwise it didn't change anything. Skip the cheap fix and do it right the first time like the others recommended.
1979 Mercury Capri 302/5spd-Sold(found and being restored), Ran 12.47 @ 110mph
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/si...ypCSLHv_kx.jpg
sycostang67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.