How Much Grease in Front Wheel Hubs? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

That is the question. Do you pack the channel full of grease, or just apply liberly to both bearings? How much is too much or not enough?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pack the bearings real good ,any grease you put in the hub is wasted. though i have seen people do that all the time not sure where they ever got the idea to do that.
One thing i have strated doing is using water proof grease it's what they use for boat trailers and it's much better stuff.

If It Ant Broken You Aren't Trying Hard Enough ( Red Green )
Duct Tape has Replaced The Dog As Mans Best Friend. Just Ask Red Green

http://www.myrestorationprojects.com
69 Mach 1 ( Molly )
68 Gmc short box 4x4
67 Triumph 650 Motorcycle Being Restored

plumbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Gary. I am going to be putting the granada upgrade I got at the salvage yard, on in a couple of weeks and will use the waterproof stuff...Happy holidays everyone from Gary in central Alabama...
gwstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gary is right about the waterproof grease. If you do get a little too much grease in there, it won't hurt anything, but if you don't get enough it will. Just make sure the bearings are packed really well.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just for your info, I work on tractor trailers as well as cars, if you pack the hub full with grease, it is more likely to catch fire than if just a generous coat on the bearings. I have seen trucks with greased bearings, and with oil lubed bearings. Obviously they have more braking power and heat to disipate, so I usually just use normal wheel bearing grease on my cars, but I constantly take my car apart for fun and re grease them for pure enjoyment once in a while LOL.

Death rides on smooth tires!

www.swartsmotorsports.com
straws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

they sell bearing packers but you can do a good job by filling both palms with grease and push them together with bearing in middle. do this a few times working grease around. doubt you can get too much in but not necesssaryk to fill hub.
Pony Carb
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes grease should be placed into the cavity of the hub,You don't FILL the cavity, but a small amout behind each bearing and a thin layer in the hub is fine, it serves a purpose, it is not just wasted grease.
I would also use a quality disc brake wheel bearing grease.it will withstand higher temps and will not run out of the bearings when hot. Marine wheel bearing grease is not up to this task.Most boat trailers don't even have brakes and the bearings will not see the temps seen automobiles.Yes it resists water intrusion better, but will you be submerging your axles? The reason boat trailer grease need to resist water is because when launching the boat after a nice highway tow you back the trailer with its hot bearings into the water. The introduction of the cool water to the hot surfaces results in the water being sucked into the hub past the seals washing the grease out.
Do a google seach of "repacking wheel bearings"
you will find many if not the same proceedures on all the sites
From the haynes manual"
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/L.../whl-brng.html

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson

69 Mach I 428SCJ
65 GT-350 5S263
_SuperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.