Manual Drum Brakes Convert to Manual Disc Brakes - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2002, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am in the middle of the disc brake conversion project. I have removed and replaced all the drum parts including spindles and put the rotor, hub, calipers with all new parts in place. I have not replaced anything else yet. I want to keep the manual brake master cylinder. Questions:

1. Could I simply purchase a slightly longer brake flex line and hook right up to the calipers?

2. If question #1 is not possible, do I need to use the proportioning valve from the power disc brake set-up even though I am going to use my stock manual brake master cylinder?

3. If I must change and use the recommended front disc brake flex hoses, will I have to change the brake lines and proportioning valve, yet still be able to use the manual brake master cylinder without buying new brake lines?

Obviously, you can see that I am trying to make this as painlessly inexpensive as possible as well as simplify the conversion. If I can do this without changing all the brake lines it would be a plus.

I would really like to hear advice from those who have made the front drum to disc conversion on a 69-70 Mustang. . .
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2002, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

when i did mine i had the donor car so i swapped all the lines,hoses,prop.valve etc.a am still using the drum m/c though.it stops ok.would probably be better with the booster.
matt
Old 12-28-2002, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am doing the same thing on a 72. I have not completed it yet, but I am going the same way you are and here is my opinion.

1. Yes.

2. You need to swap the proportioning valve, it is also a pressure differential valve, and you will wear out your disks faster if you do not change it.

3. More than one person has kept the manual M/C, I plan on using it. It should not cause a problem unless you do not like the feel of it.

JH

DMB
Johns72topless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2002, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Matt,
With you swapping all the lines from the donor car, were you able to use the manual master cylinder instead of the power brake vacuum master cylinder and not have to purchase new lines or modify the existing lines that you swapped over?

If you did have to modify the brake lines to make them fit into the manual brake master cylinder, please tell me what you had to do.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2002, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I swapped my drums for discs, I used '72 spindles and brakes. I had a real problem with the lines. The '70 lines were different than the '72.
Sorry, but, don't remember what was different. Was 3 years ago.
I am useing the stndard brake booster, instead of the power booster.I used the '70 master cylinder. The lines worked with the '72 disc prop. valve with no problem.
Where I ran into trouble was at the calipers and the rubber hoses. They were a different size than the '70 hoses, but, that is all I can remember.
I know this is kind of vague, but, all I can remember. Hope this helps
[image]http://www.southernmustangandford.com/IMG_3807.JPG[image]
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2002, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

the booster& mc were gone from the donor when i got it.i had a little trouble getting the lines to match up.different bends etc.iirc i used some of the lines from the donor and just carefuly bent them as needed.i did this about 17 or 18 years ago so some of it is vague. crs lol
matt
yes i did use the drum m/c
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.