Reviving old lacquer paint job: PLEASE HELP! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

The paint on my '66 was probably a very beautiful black lacquer paint job when first completed by it's previous owners. However, they don't seem to have taken care of it, and it's bit faded, I can even see fractures in the paint. Is there any way I can revive this paint job, or am i screwed and looking at a total repaint (which I can't afford)?

Thanks in advance,
Ken
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, fractures in the paint mean that the paint has lost most of its hydrocarbons and is completely dried out. Or it can mean that
the primer under it can be defective.

you can still make old lacquer paint shine like a mirror....
but the fractures would show up quite well.

start off with some machine glaze and a buffer, work a two foot by two foot section, after you buff it out spray water and buff lightly until super glossy.....

then when the whole car is done, use some 3m or Meguiar's #7 handglaze.....and buff to a high shine.

If the car has no rust and needs almost no bodywork, it might not cost as much as you think....

with you removing the moldings, weather stripping, and emblems
etc....and then re installing them after the paint....

ask Johnpro about that.....he got his paintjob done for a reasonable amount and it looks great!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can probably bring back the color with Micro finishing compound back the fractures are there for good. have to repaint to get rid of them.
(southern NJ) 68 acapulco blue convertible, and 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible and 78 Mustang II last two belong to swmbo MCA#54225 http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL215.../179847757.jpg
i967mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Plainfield, Il (home) / Peoria IL (Bradley university)

You might try that colored wax... i asume it would work well on black (it doesn't for other colors, ask me how i know)

- Jason

http://ksmid5.home.comcast.net/mustang/mycar6.jpg
click my car!
'65 'vert, chicago suburb
Mr_Siv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fractures in a lacquer paint job is called checking. Lacquer is a hard brittle paint that hardens with age and becomes inflexible. Those fractures go to the metal and the only remedy is to strip the material. Anything else is a stop gap that is only temporary. The surface will respond to buffing and look great-except for the checking.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hate giving these guys a plug right now, because I am STILL waiting on 4 bottles of their product to show up that were ordered before x-mas.. but... I have been using Master Formula Cleaner Gloss on my laquer paint job and it works like nothing else I have ever tried.

I don't know if by faded you mean oxidization, but that's the problem my paint gets, and this is the only stuff that works on my car. Cuts right through it, EASILY, with NO grit. I've tried it all from 3M, Meguiars... they all have sucked in comparision. Their best products to remove oxidation just bead up on top of my finish, but this Master Formula stuff gets in there and removes it.. makes it look absolutely beautiful! I've used their Sealer Gloss to seal it back up, and also Formula 2001 car polish which also seals nicely. I would stay away from waxes if I were you... but this is just from my own dealings with my laquer paint job.. yours might be different.

Just do a search for Master Formula Polish. I think it might be masterformulations.com, but I could be wrong.

good luck with it!

http://members.cox.net/sk8token/14.2.jpg

70 sportsroof: 342 stroker, Dart Sr. heads, Victor Jr. Intake, Camshaft Innovations billet hydraulic roller cam,
T-5 trans, 3.55's, 1 3/4" long tube headers, Yuma Yellow paint, black standard interior, 17x8 2000 Mustang
GT wheels, 78 Granada front discs, A/C and P/S
Sportsroof1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.