DuPont Nason primer... is it junk? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm about to start stripping the paint off my roof and quarters and soon it will be time to prime. The doors and cowl which I had done at a shop, have been primed with DuPont "Nason" primer (# 421-20). In an effort to keep it all the same, I was just going to go buy some of that and the matching activator.

Well, after doing some research, I've found that Nason is DuPont's economy line. I'd rather not put junk primer under what I hope to be a rather nice paint job.

Have any of you had experience with this stuff? If I were to go with PPG instead, can I spray over the existing Nason or is it best to sand it all off?

Thanks!
1967 Mustang Fastback; originally an A-Code, 4-Speed car now with a 373hp & 340ft-lb 302, Tremec 3550, JMC hydraulic clutch, SSBC front brakes, 9" Versailles rear with 3.70 gears, Trac-Loc, and discs. Original color Acapulco Blue on Black. Repaired door rust, new cowls, new floors, quarter panels patched. Total cost... god only knows.
mustang2plus267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just found this on the net:

"Ful-thane is a polyurethane line made by DUPONT. You will also see the brand name NASON on the can. Its an excellent single stage product mixable in any color. You can rub it out or shoot a clear coat over it. My supplier gets about $100.00 for the pigment and the catalist and the reducer (this is
the Nason system)."

"Nasons is a "bargain" brand made by Dupont and all of their products are really reasonably priced. They have their own basecoats, clears, and primers so sticking to one line shouldn't be that hard to do. And they're products are considerably cheaper in price. I've never sprayed any of Nasons color coat but I would however recommend the 2K Urethane primer. I've also painted w/Nason's Select Clear and it's got a nice shine to it. Plus it buffs out fairly easily."

"Haven't used Nason paint in a long time but I'll tell you what I remember about it. Yes it's a cheap paint and properly sprayed will look good for a while but it will not hold up for a long time. We used to use it on used cars that were to be sold at the auctions. I personally would not use it on anything that I planned on owning for a long time."

UGGHHH
1967 Mustang Fastback; originally an A-Code, 4-Speed car now with a 373hp & 340ft-lb 302, Tremec 3550, JMC hydraulic clutch, SSBC front brakes, 9" Versailles rear with 3.70 gears, Trac-Loc, and discs. Original color Acapulco Blue on Black. Repaired door rust, new cowls, new floors, quarter panels patched. Total cost... god only knows.
mustang2plus267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

You mentioned the use of PPG. Here in Southern CA, the paint retailers sell the top of the line PPG along with a lower priced economy line of PPG products. I'm sure "you get what you pay for".

Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." Albert Einstein<br><br>65 Fastback GT. 65 Convertible. 84GT, 90 5.0 LX Convertible. MCA. Southern, CA
mustangmark65gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Trouble

I've been using the Dupont line on my fastback, including the Nason primer and have experienced no problems with it. The primer has been on some parts of the for two years and it has held up fine.

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
Moby, 1971 Mach I - Occasional Driver
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified
Laurie_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2003, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

There was a time when Nason was used car paint and on a par with stuff like Western. When DuPont bought Nason, it changed. It still is a lesser price but have seen some Nason jobs hold up very well. Dont think that DuPont would market a "bad" paint. Probably like rating and Expedition to a Navigator. Both very good, one a bit better. Doesn't PPG have a "price" line? I used Nason on my garage floor and it did OK-but not as good as the old brand Amer-Flint.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I worked with bodymen for a long time. They actually recommeded Nason as a lower cost alternative to 2-stage paint. I would assume "you know what that means" that the primer would be well suited for the paint with the same name.

The paint they said "flowed real well". It (the paint) is a single stage paint for a real low cost. I called to check prices, and for 1 gallon of paint, all the reducers, and inhibitors and additives......$60 plus tax. I will try it this spring, ans see what I get. It might only turn out that I get the jams and trunk, but for the price I will try it!

Death rides on smooth tires!

www.swartsmotorsports.com
straws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2003, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nason primers can be peeled off by hand if you want. They are NOT a good choice for any serious painting effort. I tried it on a kiddy car and it was so bad I stripped it off.

I truly believe that you get what you pay for with paint. If you buy cheap paint that's what you'll get. The regular Dupont line is O.K., but stay away from the cheap stuff.

David Stribling
Dave Stribling Restorations
Dave Stribling Restorations
mustangsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.