Tell me about the 1966 Sprint Package...? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So I think I found my 4th mustang. Its a 1966 Coupe with the 200 6 cylinder sprint package. Everything on it is original and is numbers matching. The car needs a restoration but the engine and tranny are in good shape and the car has no rust that I could find except for some slight surface rust. I can pick it up for a song... but I'd like to know more about the spring package i.e. any way to know how many were made, what exactly was included etc.
6T6mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

In late 1965 Ford had a shortage of 289 v8 engines. They introduced the 66 sprint 200 to help sell Mustangs with I6's. Sprints had wire wheel covers, a chrome air cleaner, a full console, and side accent stripes. There were other options as well. Ford didnt keep seperate production records to differentiate the Sprint from standard I6 Mustangs. Sprints were not specially coded by VIN numbers or data plates. The best way to identify Sprints is by its equipment i.e. the chrome air cleaner, wire wheel covers, etc.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Hmmm well the wire wheel covers and full length console are missing, but the air cleaner is still there. Instead of an accent stripe it has a weird 3 piece metal strip on the fender, doors and part of the quarter panel. Ive seen this strip on other mustangs but have never seen it advertised as an option...anyone know about this?
Old 02-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Justin is right about the options, he didn't mention that the quarter panel ornaments were deleted. Much of the time the wire wheel covers are long gone. You could check the transmission hump for the six screw holes(three on each side)behind the shifter. If they are there then it had a console. The strip(I think it is called a door guard) is an aftermarket option to reduce door dings. They should have a vinyl strip in the center.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check this out for more sprint info.
nylhtak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sprints were availible in all body styles. Coupes were the most common. Fastbacks were scarcest. If the 3 piece metal stripe is not attatched to the side scoop then this might help:

The best indication as to whether or not this is a true Sprint is that if the quarter panel attatching holes for the side scoops were never drilled open at the factory, then any given 1966 6cyl Mustang began its life as a Sprint 200, even if all the other factory Sprint equipment is missing.

Also, each Sprint was equipped with either a 3 speed manual transmission (Sprint Package A) or a C-4 Cruise-O-Matic transmission (Sprint Package B).
Old 02-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Well it definately did not have any quarter ornaments and there were no signs that they had been drilled and filled in later. If I recall, although the console is missing I do remember there being holes in the carpet where it once was. I guess the car would be a "B option" as it has a c4 tranny.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the rarest Sprint 200 would be a Fastback with Pony interior and a 3 speed manual transmission. Many owners with the 3 speed trans reported needing trans rebuild in intervals of as few as 40,000 miles.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Does having the Sprint package add any more value to the car compared to other '66 6 cyl's? I've noticed that many of the car value guides do not add for it, but one would think they would be worth more than a regular I-6.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Because the Sprint option wasn't a true performance option and it was difficult to determine if a car really had it or not, it has not had any effect on the prices of the cars that I have seen.

http://www.lornewillard.com

MCA #38287
MCA Certified Judge: 1965-66 Concours, 1967-68 Concours, 1969-70 Concours, 1971-73 Concours, 1965-66 Shelby Concours, 1967-68 Shelby Concours, 1969-70 Shelby Concours, Daily Driver, Occasional Driver
67shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2003, 03:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Judging from the "market" prices the console is worth between $200 and $395 and good wire style hubcaps are worth about $50 to $75. So it would add at least that much to the cars value if it had those parts still on it. If a person wanted a sprint then it might be worth a little more to them.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

In trying to research my Sprint, I've found that some people will TRY to hype it up to increase the price, but it's not worth much more. All "extras" that true Sprints have, the accent stripe, console etc were available for ALL Mustangs except the chrome air cleaner.

So if anything, it's worth the cost of that, or the cost to get a normal one chromed. Ford just put all those specific options together and called it a "Sprint". And as far as I can tell, they really weren't all that rare. At least not rare enough to warrant a higher price. Unfortunately Ford didn't keep records of how many with that group of options were ordered/sold.

The end result? You can say you own a Sprint, that's about it... and you can spend hours, days, maybe more, trying to find ALL the accurate information about the package like I have [IMG]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG]

Can't get enough [color:"blue"]Sixes[/color]
19[color:"blue"]66[/color] I-[color:"blue"]6[/color] Sprint
199[color:"blue"]6[/color] V-[color:"blue"]6[/color] Coupe
http://www.eaglekepr.com/kevin/EKInLovesmall.jpg
Eaglekepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

LOL. Thanks to this Mustang Sprint 200 post I had a dream last night that I was looking at Sprint 200. The owner was asking $500. But as I was inspecting it, it did not appear to be a real Sprint. [IMG]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

so... You guys are saying that the fact that I installed a warmed over Edelbrock inducted 289 4V motor with full length headers, painted my car '94 mustang bright blue pearl metallic, installed an new black interior, added power Granada disc brakes, and an 8 inch rear end to my silver blue early sprint 200 with blue/blue interior didn't lower the value? .....I hope
tomtri66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtri66 View Post
so... You guys are saying that the fact that I installed a warmed over Edelbrock inducted 289 4V motor with full length headers, painted my car '94 mustang bright blue pearl metallic, installed an new black interior, added power Granada disc brakes, and an 8 inch rear end to my silver blue early sprint 200 with blue/blue interior didn't lower the value? .....I hope
Nope, just saying that the fact that you exhumed an 8 year old thread means that you have WAY too much time on your hands.

"No trees have been killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons have been inconvenienced."

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...errr/043-8.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...caintNardi.jpg
'66 Coupe
'66 T-Bird Q-code (428) Town Hardtop

Board of Directors, Inland Empire Classic Mustang Club (Vice Pres. 2007-2009)
Mustangfeverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.