14x6 wheel largest tire size?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

can anyone tell me whats the largest size tire they are running or can run with 14x6 magnum wheels. The old tires Im taking off are 235/60/14s which are big. Im surprised they were on the car because I was told a tire that wide isnt safe on a 6 inch rim. Whats the biggest tire I can use with no rubbing in the 70s series and the 60 series. Any info is appreciated.
ponyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

What year car, and what if any mods have been made to the suspension? Both bits of info are needed to make any kind of intelegent response.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

The widest tire that is recommended to put on a rim is where the rim width is 80% of the the tread width. So, for a 6" wide rim, the max tread width should be about 7.5". Any wider, the sidewalls will begin to loose strength inducing less strength to remain "standing" when side or lateral loads are applied. The wider you go past this, the less strength you have.

The most narrow tire should have a rim width of 90% of the tread width. For the 6" rim, this would be about 6.75".

Now befor anybody has a cow or ?, please remember you can go wider or smaller, but this is the recommendation from most tire manufactureres with regards to maximum handling capabilities for a tire. 2nd but......always check with the tire manufacturer whose brand you are about to buy for the recommended tire size versus rim, you would be surprised at the differences between mfg's with the exact same tire size versus their design specs!
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I looked on this BF Goodrich tire chart and it looks like a 215-60 or 70 would be the widest to go, possibly even a 225-70.
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5983/pony2pi9.th.jpg
tirefire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2003, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fstbk1968

I'm running 235/60R/14's on the rear of my car (14x6 styled steel rim). I had Goodyear install them they told me (when I ordered the tires) that the 235 size is the widest that they'd recommend with a 6 inch rim. Any wider you run the risk of breaking the bead during hard cornering (at least that's what they said ) I've run these tires for years and have never had a problem.

1968 C code fastback. 463 cu. in. stroked FE, Tremec TKO, 3.70 N-case detroit locker
Visibility Group, 8k Factory Tachometer, Bench Seat
fstbk1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.