Trunk Weatherstripping Installation - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Today I removed Mollie's old trunk weatherstripping, and am getting ready to install the new one. I have a few questions (as always)...

After putting on the new stripping, do I leave the trunk open or closed? I just washed it today, so it shouldn't be exposed to any water for several days. Should I sand where the previous weatherstripping existed? I couldn't get off all of the glue. I even sprayed on quite a bit of 3M adhesive remover, which took off a little bit more.

Are there any other tips for installing this so my trunk won't leak?

Thanks!

joe
JoeNealPHX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

All I did on mine was starting in the middle by the latch I applied yellow 3M adhesive to the lid and to the weather seal. I only about a foot at a time to keep from accidentally dropping the seal on the paint. When got to the end I had to cut the seal because it was 3 inches too long. You should only cut the end when the seal is in place so that you don't cut it too short. You should also glue the ends together. I used masking tape to hold it all in place as I went, with more tape at the corners then the middle. I left the lid open all night.

1969 Mustang LE600 Sportsroof - Groovy Green
1969 Mustang LE600 Coupe - Flower Power Red
1969 Mustang Sportsroof - Dark Jade
1969 Firebird 350 Conv - Mayfair Maze
1968 Cougar Hertz XR7-G (project)
1959 Oldsmobile Super 88
1963 Jaguar XKE Coupe (project)

[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/groovygreen/groovygreen.htm]
[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/]
manyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

If the surface is clean, 3M adhesive will stick permanently, so not to worry in that regard. With the lid off and on the bench, I masked off each side of the weatherstrip central location (this prevented adhesive on painted surfaces adjacent to the weatherstrip). In the contact patch area, I primed the deck lid with a thin layer of adhesive and let it cure. I did the same to the weatherstrip contact patch area. Now this layer is as thin as you can get it but it does serve to ensure the weatherstrip will stick at every contact point. Once both sides have been primed with a thin layer of adhesive and have cured fully, then begin to apply the weatherstrip to the lid. Start at the join, meaning the very back of the lid. Add sufficient adhesive to cover the contact patch about 8" along the weatherstrip at a time. Allow the weatherstrip adhesive to partly set up on the side to which it was applied. As you see it dull, push the weatherstrip directly onto the contact patch without either stretching its length or compressing its length. If you've waited the partial cure time, the adhesive will immediately stick like double sided tape and remain in place. Work your way around the perimeter, 8" at a time. If you need masking tape to hold down the start or at corners by all means use it. When you get back to the join after traveling along the perimeter, measure and cut the final length to match up. Apply adhesive to the last 8" and to both sides of the join up and press into place. Wait one hour, remove masking tape and install deck lid. Close and leave closed for 24 hours.
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Removing the trunk lid... how involved is this process? It would definitely be easier to put on the weatherstripping that way. Do I just remove the 4 bolts connecting the trunk to the arms? How hard is re-installation of the trunk lid? Just put the 4 bolts back in?

joe
JoeNealPHX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Joe, just take a felt tip pen and scribe a line around where the hinges attach to the lid so you can easily reattach in the exact same position when you reinstall. Now take the correct size socket and just unscrew the four bolts holding the hinge to the lid. Might want to have some extra hands to help hold it at the corners by the back window or you could get some nasty nicks in your paint when it comes loose . Set it on something soft upside down and have at it. When you go to reinstall the lid, place some towels or something soft at the rear corners to help cushion until you get the lid back where it goes. good luck.
gwstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.