Cherry Red Hot Exhaust Pipes...."Results of Test". - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,

Last week I posted that I left a few shop rags in my manifold when I bolted my carb back on and fired up the engine. Most of them blew out the back but I now have 2 exhaust pipes on the passanger side that are glowing red hot in a matter of minutes (5-10) of starting up the car.

People had responded and said to post some results of some basic tests, so I thought I would.

Firstly, I ran the car again to see if the muffler was clogged but the exhaust "appears" to be equal on both sides.

Secondly, I removed the manifold and carb, but nothing there, I also peeked as far into the cylinders as possible but did not see anything obvious.

Thirdly, I ran a compression test and the cylinders seem consistent with the rest, 135-145 on both cylinders(The engine was rebuilt last year and it is still breaking in. My top readings on the other cylinders are 160.

Also, one of the effected plugs was wet with gas.

So I really don't know what to think. I thought the cheery red pipes ment that the cylinders were burning lean, so why the gas on the spark plug? And why no dropped compression readings?

I'm removing the header pipe tonight, just in case it's clogged, but I really doubt it. I don't think anything cloth could survive in that.

As a side note, I am wondering if this has been happening since the rebuild last summer, and the rag is just a coincidence? The engine has been running hot since the rebuild, but I just assumed that it was breaking in or had higher compression now.

What's the next step, taking off the head? What should I look for, or expect to see?

Thanks, Greg.
white66coupe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would think that the gas on the plug shows that that cylinder isn't firing. Did you check for spark on that cylinder?

WOuld gasoline being exhausted into the headers then mixing with hot exhaust gases cause a small combustion in the header pipes resulting it red hot headers?

Slade

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
CobraSix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

What is your timing advance @ idle? Timing too far advanced will cause headers to glow red hot.
Stroked66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could be running to lean for your setup.

It makes more sence to me that running the timing retarted would cause wet plugs and hot exhaust. The fuel is still igniting on the exhaust stroke. The fuel can not ignite all the way so it will leave fuel in the cylinders. Is the engine a dog or does it hall butt?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

When my headers turned red it was the timming being to far retarded.
69 Mach 1 351w .030 over, KB flat tops, 11.1 comp ,282 xtreme energy roller cam,offy 360 degree intake, Holley 750, 9" locker rear end with 3.89 gears, AFR 185 heads http://www.pixhost.com/pixm/mikesjun...ngpics0001.jpg
mikes69mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Just from reading your post, it kinda makes sense. On a standard manifold you may not see a hot spot because there's lots of mass to absord and dissapate the heat. On headers, the heat is going to concentrate. A later post in this thread stated that retarded timing also causes the problem. Sounds like the explosion is still happening when the exhaust valve open thus causing the header pipe to get hot.
If the plug is wet with gas, sounds like no spark and the potential souce of your problem.
My .02
Dave

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

When a friend of mine did exactly the same thing as you, he had to pull the heads to clean everything out. You'd think that with the extreme heat that everything would just burn away, but it will leave residue that doesn't burn up. So, ultimately what is happening is that an exhaust valve is hanging open, causing the flames to travel into the headers. That is what is causing the glowing......

Gary......::
Old 05-05-2003, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

since its not all cyl.. I think stuck exhaust valves would be more likely than timming, but could be a combination.. I'd pull the heads and clean them just to be sure, and then look into timming..

AJ
Aronj66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CantedValve

I gotta disagree. Start with the simple stuff!!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like your answer....it seems to really fit. Question: wouldn't a sticking exhaust valve cause the compression to drop when I did the compression check?

Thanks, Greg.
white66coupe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes.. The compression check would show a valve stuck open.. I only suggest pulling the heads cuz you are most of the way there already with the intake off and the headers comming off.. Its better to tear it all down and be sure than to not and still guessing..

AJ
Aronj66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Thirdly, I ran a compression test and the cylinders seem consistent with the rest, 135-145 on both cylinders(The engine was rebuilt last year and it is still breaking in. My top readings on the other cylinders are 160.
With 160 as the "top" number don't you guys think that the 135 is a little low?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
How many cylinders are we talking here... 6 or 8?? Are both headers/manifolds hot? If it's a V8... where are the high compression cylinders and where are the 16% lower compression cylinders at? Need more info please.

I'm still sticking with my opinion of retarted timing. You may have build up on the valve seats. Cotten and fuel and compression makes a good combination of crudd, (dirty rag). Pinch that in the valve seat and you just created a leak. Take the heads off and reseat the valves. 16% is getting up there especially for a fresh rebuild. It won't make it to 50,000 miles.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

You should do a follow up to the compression test which is a leak down test....rotate the engine to were the valves for the cylinder should be both closed and pump it full of air via the spark plug socket and listen for the were the air is leaking out.
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Oh... I'm bad.... that's right...... too Retarded, thats what I meant.

My mistake ::
Stroked66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.