hunting or non-hunting - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I wanted to find out if original 3.25 gears are hunting or non-hunting. No luck so far.
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2003, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

The book says," If the gear set is of the non-hunting or partial non-hunting type,assemble the differential case and ring gear assembly in the carrier so that the marked tooth on the pinion indexes between the marked teeth on the ring gear."

There marked paint spots on the teeth of the gears.( these spots are on the inside of the ring gear and on the rear side of the pinion.)
So I guess that in a hunting gear ,it doesnt really matter how it is indexed. Hope that helps.
pancho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

This would be a non-hunting gear set, 39ring 12pinion. Each pinion tooth should make contact with every 3rd ring tooth, and since 39 teeth is evenly divisible by 3, the pattern will repeat itself. Looked at the other way, each ring tooth will always have the same 4 pinion teeth contact it. So, this set would definitely need to be timed.
Here's how I proved it: make 39 dots across a paper representing the ring teeth. From the left, start numbering under them 1-12, when you get to 12 just keep on numbering from 1 again, when you get to the end of the row just keep numbering at the left again on a new row. After 4 times across, you'll see that all combos are set to repeat again starting at the beginning of the 5th row! Hope this helps.
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL480...8/56907606.jpg
HughStonne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I knew all that stuff and am thankful for the helpful intentions

I am hopeful someone here knows if an original ford 9" 3.25 gearset is hunting or not before I break her down for future work.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Huh? I think I just proved that it is non-hunting and needs to be marked. 39/12 is the only combo I know of that produces a 3.25 ratio.
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL480...8/56907606.jpg
HughStonne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

What does hunting and non-hunting mean when refering to a rear end? I thought this was going to be an engine idle thread!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gear sets are hunting, non-hunting and partial non-hunting depending on the ratio. Of these I understand two briefly as:

Hunting. A set of hypoid gears whose ratio is not evenly divisible. Example: 3.55 As the ring gear rotates, the pinion passes every tooth on the ring gear resulting in an even wear pattern around the entire ring.

Non-hunting. A set of hypoid gears whose ration is evenly divisible. Example: 3.25 As the ring gear rotates, the pinion teeth only contact a fraction of the ring gear teeth as the ring rotates. This happens because the teeth match up for each rotation and hence produce several wear patterns on the ring. These have to be indexed before disassembly since elsewise the lack of pattern match causes excess wear and tear when set is reassembled. Note well the initial pattern on the pinion/ring no longer matches the pattern on the pinion/ring when not indexed; hence a new wear pattern must evolve and this causes whining, noise and early failure of the set.

geegee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Egads, you guys are smart. I read more on this concept. Is't the gear ratios that determine what it is! But you should index the non- hunting units, because they have particular laped patterns and constantly repeat. Hunters don't repeat.
pancho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.