427 SOHC - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

A clarification: I don't recall ever seeing a total gear drive ON THE 427 SOHC. The INDY engine , by the way had DUAL OVERHEAD CAMS (Totally gear driven cams) and like the difference between a 289 V-8 and a 390, are entirely different engine families from the 427 SOHC.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Here's my friends Fairmont with a cammer.

Ray Jermyn Sr.
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2003, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here's my other friends Fairmont with a Boss 429.

Ray Jermyn Sr.
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hopefully I'm not repeating what's already been said but.. The 427 SOHC has a long timing chain and ended up seeing service in drag racing, both bodied cars and fuel dragsters (Don Prudhomme, Connie Coletta, Pete Robinson, etc). The 1963 Ford Indy engine was an 255 cu in aluminum block derivative of the new "Fairlane" 221/260 production engine (forerunner of 289/302). This was a push rod engine. In 1964, they adapted DOHC cams for this engine which were gear driven. It finally won Indy in 1965, and went on to win lots of USAC open wheel races; before being effectively ruled out of service. Later, Cosworth developed an Indy engine based on the Formula One Ford engine which was a whole different thing. IIRC, they didn't bill the Cosworth engine as a Ford because they converted it for Indy use without Fords direct participation. However, you saw some of the Indy Cosworths wearing their F-O-R-D Formula One cam covers. It was interesting that the 63 Indy Ford push rod engine ran on gasoline and had carbs; and was able to finish 2nd and 7th in its first race against pure racing engines of the same displacement. Later they changed the rules to allow push rod engines to have more displacement. The Gurney engine was a Ford small block with special push rod heads (Gurney-Westlake). Later, Gurney also developed similar heads for the small block Chrysler engine.

66 Fastback Restomod (342 stroker, T5 12.8 @ 112 mph)
85 GT Hatchback
2008 Bullitt
BernieFrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Here is another 427 SOHC site. No chains, no gears, just a belt!
http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/v8sohc427.html

I have a pic somewhere of a CanAm 494 SOHC (or 492...been too long) used in CanAm races in the 70's. So yes, the SOHC was used in road races. I have no stats on how well it did.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

That belt drive must have been a later development, perhaps by some aftermarket builder?? As I remember, the CanAm 494 was a version of the "Blue Cresent" or Boss 429 family of engines. There was another Boss derivative version with something like 3 valves per cylinder called a "Calliope" or something like that which was tried out in CamAm too. I think it produced enormous power that wasn't easily managed in a road race car; and wasn't too successful. I would consult the archives (my magazine library) if I had the time this week for specific information.

66 Fastback Restomod (342 stroker, T5 12.8 @ 112 mph)
85 GT Hatchback
2008 Bullitt
BernieFrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2003, 02:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Yah, I think you're right. I'm confusing my semi hemi's and SOHC style hemis....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.