upper control arm modifications - Vintage Mustang Forums

Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Posts: n/a
I have been looking at the handling kits for my 66 coupe from different manufacturers. On most of them when you buy upper control arms they give you a template to drill new mounting holes to lower the mounting point for the control arms. They say this increases negative camber and improves cornering. I was wondering if this mod is something that you can do to the stock control arms to get the handling improvement without spending $500 on a control arm kit. If anyone knows about this mod, please give me some info or tell me where I can find out about doing this. I have searched on the forums but have not found much info, I thought there was something called a shelby mod that was similar to this but not sure what that is. I would like to get as much information as possible about how to make the coupe handle better, they way I drive I need it ).
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
ausmad's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Little Elm, Tx.
Posts: 1,252
This is a shelby mod I asked the same question today I am going to do the same modification ASAP and it will not cost me anything. Do a search for shelby drop and you wil see the replies I received and instructions on how to proceed.


2008 Mustang GT, 4.6 5 sp man.trans.

1967 Coupe, 289 4v., C4 3 spd. Auto.
Spal Electric fan, disc/drum power brakes
Dual Exhaust - Dynomax super turbo mufflers
Unisteer Rack and Pinion Steering
620 springs with 1" drop and, Shelby drop
Floor Console
Am/Fm/Cassette Stereo
in Little Elm, Texas

ausmad is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the help, I cant believe the same question was asked so recently and I couldnt find it. After reading about this mod I wonder if buying the global west control arms might be a better idea. I can to the relocation mod for free vs. paying $600 for the global west arms, but if the kit is better maybe I should go that route. If anyone has installed the global west control arms please let me know how you like them and how they effected the handling of your car.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 6,630
The shelby drop is somewhere in between stock and best. I bought a negative wedge kit which allowed me to drop the arms further for a full negative camber curve, whereas the shelby drop gives it more of a "flat" camber curve. Also I believe the aftermarket upper arms are adjustable.

If you dont go aftermarket, at least go shelby drop. If you have the bucks, go TCP or GW.

What's a bolt on

- Word to yo mutha.
TheShagg is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
mrgem's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Rockies West of Denver
Posts: 2,595
Yes, you are referring to what is commonly called the "Shelby Control Arm Drop". For 1965-1966 cars, it consists of relocating the control arm studs 1 inch lower and 1/8 inch toward the rear of the car. I got my template from the inside of a Tony Branda catalog ( www.cobranda.com ), but it has been published many other places as well.

There's no reason why it cannot be done using your old control arms, but it can put more stress on your upper ball joints and you may want to replace them if you are dropping the arms.

I also suggest you take the paper template and reproduce it in thick sheetmetal, as that will make it much easier to accurately locate the holes.

Good luck.

Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fairmont WV
Posts: 95
I just purchased the kit from National Parts Depot. It is made by Pro-Motorsports Engineering. It is $274.95. Its fairly easy to install.

Dont try to do it without buing a kit because the kits either come with new upper controll arms or wedges for the ball joints. This is so the upper ball joint will not bind when your suspension bottoms out.

Note: if you buy the kit you can use the stock controll arms but make sure that you use the fine thread nuts on the controll arms and the coarse on the bolts (I learned the hard way).

65 Mustang Mildly built 289 5 spd.
91 Taurus SHO
90 Nissan 240sx

Eleanor: Played out after 60 seconds.

The Steve
fouronthefloor65 is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome