What primer to use? Rangoon Red Convertible - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am close to the point of applying primer to my 65 convertible. The car is originally rangoon red and that is the color I want to have it painted.

Do I want to apply a grey primer to the body? yellow?
Does it matter? What brand should I use?

The car will probably sit in primer until next year sometime when I have the funds to take it to a paint shop for final prep/primer/paint.

Do I need to spray on the primer? Can I brush it on (since this is the 1st coat to seal it for the next year).
I don't really have a good place to spray primer.
Is there a brush on type that would work as a 1st coat or is that a bad idea?

Any help would be appreciated. This is the 1st time I have had to prime. All I want this year is a good coat that will last until I can get it to the guy who will finish.
But I obviously want to apply it correctly so it doesn't have to be removed and re-done during the final prep process.

Thanks all.

Eric

Keep your cars on the road, ponies were never meant to be stabled!
ethomps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dickson

Make sure you use an epoxy primer. The reason for this is that it will seal the body and not absorb moisture (causing rust) over the coming year before the car gets it's topcoat.

"Beer is proof that God loves us." Benjamin Franklin
dickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ditto on Dickson suggestion to use Epoxy Primer. Anything else will allow moisture to penetrate to the metal.

You WILL have to spray the primer (I just did mine last night and it's not that tough, just allot of prep work and pre-cleaning, but you can do it in a garage/shop if no paint booth is available to you.

I suggest you use PPG's DPLF series epoxy primer. It comes in various colors. Grey is fine for the sealer coat, then you'll probably want to use a yellow primer/surfacer to do your blocking and final sanding with.

BTW, here is a link to a great forum to ask body/paint type questions. http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Good Luck!
Stroked66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ditto on Epoxy. PPG DPLF74 is a red oxide epoxy primer. Good for sealer coats on bare metal, as well as over the final surfacer primer to help in color coverage. Red paints are very expensive, and one coat of red oxide epoxy under the topcoat will save you quite a bit. It also adds another level of protection.

My car: DPLF74 over bare metal. Plastic fillers. K200 filler surfacer (yellow). DPLF74 over final wetsanded K200. Immediately followed with Omni base and Concept 2021 clear.
Good luck
66emberglow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

PPG 271 - good epoxy filler primer that will stand up to the weather (works on bare metal as well as primed and painted surfaces). Iím taking a body shop class and that is what most of the students use (instructors like it as well). Our cars sit outside (covered for the most part) and donít have a problem. Since you are painting a dark color, go with a similar dark primer (red or gray). As for applying the primer it depends. If you are applying it over bare metal (or have significant body flaws to fix) then you can roll it on (get a small sponge roller from Wal-Mart, etc.). Wipe the parts down with wax and grease remover first!. Bare metal will need to be heavily sanded to get the body work correct - meaning your first coat of primer doesnít need to be smooth since it will be one of many. If you are applying it over a painted surface, 1st wash parts, wipe with wax and grease remover, scuff the paint (critical) and then apply primer. If the body condition is good, then you really really want to apply the primer with a good sprayer. If you donít youíll be creating unnecessary work (leave a rough surface when you want it smooth). If you spray, all that will be left to do is wet sand the primer and fix any minor imperfections before painting.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

A lot of epoxy primers may be tinted with the same pigment as the paint. I did this with my yellow car, mainly due to coverage issues with yellow...it's more transparent than you would think. With the red, I do not beleive you will have as tough of a transparency issue, but with a similar primer to the base coat, chips don't stand out as well. John
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.