Engine guru's, tight engine after rebuild - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rebuilding a buddies 289. Standard bore, standard crank. Put the crank in and torqued the caps, everything turns good. Put the pistons/rods in & torqued the rods down. Still turns smooth but really tight. With a 1/2 drive rachet with a 10" handle I can turn the engine but it's a struggle. So I loosened the rods caps & it only freed it a bit. I'm thinking it's the new rings on the honed walls. There's no binding & it turns smooth, but hard as Hell.
What do you guys think?
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DENVER

The 10" handle doesn't give you a lot leverage. It should be tight to some degree. I rebuilt my 351w and as I torgued down the rods, I installed one at a time and torqued one at a time. I'm thinking you don't have a probelm. Denver
DENVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

They're supposed to be "tight". As mentioned, that tool is kinda small to be turning over that much compression. I'd go ahead and torque the rod caps to specs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are the heads on and plugs in so you are getting compression? If not, sounds too tight. Try loosening up the rod caps, and then, spin the rotating assembly. If it moves easy, then try adding them back one at a time. You may have one journal sized wrong or a 10/10 bearing that is binding, or an ring or ring set binding. I had a "professional" rebuilt engine that would not turn over except with a breaker bar. Turned out had one crank journal not turned on a 10/10 crank. With the 10/10 bearing, it was binding up when torqued.

Richardson TX

1964.5 D code vert (The 'Vert)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Mustangerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2003, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
RTM

Are the rods installed correctly? The champher must face outward from each other.
RTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cruzer, have to agree with MustangerBob on this one. Need to go back and check the clearances. If the heads are NOT on it, it sounds too tight. If the heads are on it, with no spark plugs in it, it may be ok, but I'll stress may be. It's too much money and too much work to re-do if it's not right. So better to be safe than sorry afterwards. Pull it back apart and re-check. Tony
1969 Fastback, original 302, .030 over, Performer cam, Dart 58cc iron heads, 1.94/1.60, original C4, lots and lots and lots and lots of chrome and 20 year old custom paint. She's fired again after 2 years. Sounds healthy.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2715564
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...564_1_full.jpg
kruser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

As a point of reference, I just went thru the 360 in my 65 F-100 and with the engine completely assembled and no spark plugs, it took 75 Ft. lbs. on the crank nut to turn the engine over. The start ::ing torque to break it loose was higher, but the turning torgue on a dial torque wrench was 70-75.
Howard
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2003, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd take the guesswork out of it and plastigauge all bearings.

"Get your facts straight first, then you can distort them as much as you wish"!!

1965 Fastback, Sunlit Gold, I6, T-5, Pertronix, CAA AC, SSBC frt discs
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

This happened to me. Wrong bearings!
66 coupe,V8 conversion, 87 302 roller motor, GT40 heads with 202 valves, Weiland Stealth Dual Plane Intake, mallory distributor, headers/ H pipes, C-4 tranny, Granada Disks, 8 in 3.80 posi rear, Magna performance suspension
stangdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.