My horn is not working!! ( Tired at yelling at people!!!) - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to David67

Hey guys well my horn isn't working. Haven't worked in a while. The problem I am having is that I don't have any power at the steering wheel. I checked the fuse and I looked around but I don't know what else to look at. Any suggestions?

David
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can get one of those little megaphone things from RadioShack. It'll take the strain off your voice when yelling. Alternately, one of those "spray-can" air horns would work well. Mount it on the window pillar like those little ricer fire extinguishers! Way cool.

Well, you said you were looking for ideas! ::
PS - My horn doesn't work either.
poppy65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Moderator Dude

Send a message via ICQ to FordDude

Get a bumper sticker that says "Horn broken watch for finger" :p Sorry Dave I just could not resist. :: fd
FordDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to David67

You know I was thinking about getting one of those speaker phones recently. I think it would be so funny. I think I would have way too much fun with that.
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just rev it up

BeerMachine
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to RaSMG

:: :: :: :: ::
That's exactly what I do .. my horn has never worked but my exhaust is loud enough to wake up old ladies sitting at green lights with just a blip of the throttle .. works wonders, plus they get the h*ll out of the way cause they know you're p*ssed off.
1993 Taurus SHO - Beater
RaSMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sloan Send a message via Yahoo to sloan

If you dont' have power running TO the steering wheel, you got a not to easy problem.

my problem was that the horn wires ... going thru the radiator support (about 2 feet short of teh horns themselves) got cut up pretty badly. I ended up putting a relay in .. (near the windshield washer fluid bag) .. and using the wire to power the relay. which i recommend btw.

all you can do is start to backtrack. get yourself a couple dollar test light (with a sharp point) and a wiring diagram. vamustang is where I got mine, its <$10, and a really thin white booklet. then you start poking the correct wire.. and work backwards from the steering column. not a fun procedure. the test light will have a sharp point, which you can stick inside the plastic of the wire to get to the copper insides, and thus test the circuit, and it doesn't really damage the wire enough you have to worry about it. or maybe just 1 loop of elec tape.

your alternative of course (which so many old ford truck user have done) is wire a alternate push button on the side of the column. aka, sacrafice prettiness for functionality.

how are you getting it inspected with no horn?

I'd test the wires coming up the steering column.. all that ford magic of contact points in the steering wheel is prone for failure.

good luck.

sloan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with the people above! What do you need a horn for? I never use mine in any of my vehicles and they all work.

Wait I take that back I used to use the horn on my motorcycle alot when I first got it. But that was only because my thumb would slip off the turn signal switch. I am more accustomed now and have not used my horn in some time.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
AKA Exchevman

Quote:
Get a bumper sticker that says "Horn broken watch for finger" :p Sorry Dave I just could not resist. :: fd
LOL :: ::

Dave

"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL165.../372997894.jpg
dvturnupseed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Use superglue where you poke the wire. if your having a problem with the horn it self then pull it out of the car and use quick drying contact cleaner to spray inside the phillips head screw when you remove it. If it's power then go ahead and fallow the wire all the way to the stearing wheel(PITA) with a curcit tester like the posts above said already. When you go to reinstall then screw in that little screw and get some aligator clips connected to a wire and connect one to the horn(it's grounded by the bolt that holds the horn) and the other side to clean metal that is grounded(the - side of the battery is useasly the easiest). have a friend press on the horn button and screw in that screw untill you feel that it's pressed on something inside. keep going untill the horn sounds good (witch is 1/4-1/2 a turn with most of the ones that I've cleaned up)
Johnbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

to isolate problem do the following:
1. connect horns across battery after removing tab connector - if they don't function adjust screw on horn body. if they still don't work pitch them.
2. do brake lights work? power for them and horn come from same circuit breaker in headlight switch. if you have brake lights you have horn power unless bad wiring.
3. after that it gets harder. disconnect battery + term and remove horn ring and steering wheel. PM me for troubleshooting procedure.
Pony Carb
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.