86-90 5.0 ENGINE INSTALL INTO 67 MUSTANG - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am considering replacing my 289 with a 86-90 5.0 (302) in my 67 mustang. I have been told that I will have to change the flywheel, torque converter and harmonic balancer to make the car run smoothly. Can anyone help or let me know of any websites or have information about putting a new 302 into a classic mustang.
subwiz97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used Windsorfox, they are a little expensive but they have eveything you could need for the swap.
www.windsorfox.com
red390GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

DarkHorse performance is another good source. As is NPD and Dallas Mustang Parts and CJPony and...

By the way, if you have an automatic, you will have a flexplate, not a flywheel, as flywheels are typically incompatible with torque converters... :: In addition to the parts you mentioned, you will need either a new waterpump, radiator, and serpentine pully system OR reuse your existing early 289/302 waterpump, etc with a 3-bolt harmonic balancer from NPD or other supplier. If you use the fuel injection, you will need a new fuel system (electric pump, return line, gas tank, etc) and likely will need to relocate your battery to the driver's side.

Unless you will be happy with the existing power of the 86, stay away from the 86 5.0 as their "high swirl" head and piston combo means that you have to do a lot of parts replacement to get any above-factory power. There are a lot of sites on the net that will step-by-step you through the process and give you an idea of the expense and skill involved.

It is easiest, IMO, to find a 87-93 Mustang with a 5.0 and swap out all the parts, particularly if you are going to use the fuel injection and the AOD (overdrive automatic).
Good luck, and do a search here for more info.
Daniel
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bought a 69' coupe with a 87' 302 with 351 heads and a 68 4 B intake. I am losing the intake it weighs more than me and I can get better performance if I match it to the edelbrock that is on there. I am also changing from the C4 auto that was in there and converting it to a BW T5 with overdrive.

The big comment I have heard is that if you are upgrading to a "more modern" engine a tranny with OD is the only smart thing to add to it.

I have a roller cam in mine and the heads are in the shop now as it was low on compression on removal. Parts are easy to find and the engine was a 2 hour job to remove. Of course that included liberal use of a tin snips and wire cutter (new linkages and gauges going in)

This guy also had a dual electric fan rigged in there that was half assed. I am remoting the variable swith in the cockpit and redoing the mounts he used. It takes some fabrication to get it to fit correctly, but it is worth it if you are running a newer engine to upgrade the cooling package.

My 2 cents......if you want some pics let me know. I am almost done with the tear down. Which puts me a 2% done with this project!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Beach Bum

Hi Keith,
I just aquired a 302 & AOD auto trans from a 87 LTD C/V & I will using the whole combo as a unit to put into my 69 Coupe. The only thing I needed to buy extra was I needed a different trans cross member to be able to bolt the trans into the Mustang chasis. Hope that helps.
Mike. ::
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape (Wifes DD)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
My 69 Coupe build album
http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/NJMike69/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_0339.jpg
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mike,
I am getting ready to do the same swap with an 88 CV 5.0/AOD in my 65 restomod. The CV motor is a little different than the late Mustang. How far along are you? I may be asking some questions.

Lstar

Mustangpainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Beach Bum

Lstar,
I have he engine out of the car but the car is in storage as I am in the process of restoring an old barn on my property to use as my woodworking shop & garages for the 2 Mustangs I own, so I wont be getting back to it until it starts to warm up & I have heard that up here in upstate NY that is not until April some time. Maybe we could PM each other back & forth with any questions & solutions on our similar swap. Let me know.
Mike.
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape (Wifes DD)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
My 69 Coupe build album
http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/NJMike69/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_0339.jpg
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds good. Right now I am doing the body work, but as soon as it is in primer I am pulling the motor out of both cars. (the donor and the 65) Then I will detail the engine bay and start the converson. I will stay in touch when I get started. I will try to document as much as possible since I have a good digital camera.

Lstar

Mustangpainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.