Help me ID my ring gear and pinion. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

I think I might have a none matching set of ring gear and pinion, and that might be the reason for all my problems.
I can't find a number on the pinion but the gear has 37 teeth and shows 3-3-6 code on it.
The pinion has 10 teeth but they jst don't fit right together it seems like.
The guy who sold me this says it has a C2AW 4210 A part number.
Can someone ID this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I measured the ring gear that is way thicker than my old 3.00 gear and it is 1 7/16 thick. Put on the trac-lok, I have no play at all. The teeth are about to touch the housing, so are the posi bolts.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

One thought...
is the ring gear thicker for an open differential than for a track-lok? Since the open gear differential is thinner (no clutch set) would it make a difference?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Nick,

I have been watching your posts with baited breathe. I hope you can get this all to work out without having your rear explode on you when you install it. The only advice I can offer for you is this.....have you considered seeking the help of a hands on Professional?
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

live and learn...
Old 02-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would have to agree with my esteemed colleague from Maryland.

Especially when I hear that the information you are using isn't totally what you need and you're just "making things up"... I figured there were a few things I just would NOT do, and rear end work was one of them...

'66 Mustang, 302, front chin spoiler, R-model valance, '67 style Shelby hood, custom trunk and console.
Richelieu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Guys, guys... I will rebuild this thing for two reasons:
1- I like the challenge and learning experience,
2- I'm stubborn

I'll probably get a local Professional opinion but I thought this forum was the place to get professional opinions. Heck, if Art can build a engine for Bob, I think that qualifies don't you?

Any how, thanks for the input but this is not the answer I'm looking for right now.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think you find according to the Ford shop manuals that the gear sets are made in pairs- therefore you can't go matching any given pinion gear with any given main gear you have. They are matched pairs, and cut accordingly, usually with matching paint marks I think if memory serves me correctly.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm a novice at looking things up in the Ford Master Parts Catalog, but here's what I find: A C2AW-4210-A (should be stamped on the outer face of the ring) is shown to be mated with one of three pinions: C2AW-4610-A, C2AW-M and C2AW-J. I thought those numbers were stamped into the pinion along it's shaft, but it's been a while since I fondled one of the things. Those three combinations make up set part numbers: C2AZ-4209-A , B7AZ-F and B7AZ-K translating to 4.11s ,37 ring/9 pinion teeth. Rings and pinions are matched, mated assembly and you shouldn'r mix one from one set with one from another. I've not experienced what can happen when you do, so I don't know it that could be a cause of your troubles. With ten teeth on the pinion, I'd wager it could very well be a "sticking" point.

P.S. The source for that information is the 65-72 catalog, and it doesn't list 3.70s used in 9 inches during that period of time, but Ford did earlier than that. Someone with the earlier catalog coverage could maybe see if that ring was somehow mated with a 10 spline pinion to make up a 3.70 R&P. In my Hollander, the 37/10 R&P that make up the 3.70 ration is shown with part number B7AZ-M, But it doesn't give the individual R&P part numbers.

The A.B.C.s of the '66 GT350- Accelerometer, Beatermeter, Clock
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fo...Instuments.jpg
289fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 01:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
bob
Supporting Member

This forum is for opinions, it's up to you as to whether they're professional or not.

I will say, since you mentioned myself and Art specifically as if it defended your position in taking on something extremely technical without much knowledge, that Art (who has unreal expertise and experience in putting together the kind of engine that I was after) was who I went to as putting together an engine was outside of my expertise. Quite the opposite, you're trying to do something outside of your skill set and you need to realize that without someone right there to show you, as well as arm you with the right tools, you could cost yourself a LOT of heartache and pain in the process of learning. Great to learn how to do things yourself, but add up the cost.

-bob
bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

OK, let's close on the subject. I'm not trying to justify nothing. I'm asking people that might have knowledge of this their opinion. There are some very technical people on this forum (like Art and thanks to you Bob) and I wanted their opinion. I think I can do this between info I get here, multiple manuals, articles, video, other websites and local people. Now I understand it needs to be done right or I'll pay the price for it but that is a risk I'm willing to take. I believe in rewarding curiousity, perseverance and effort.
That's it, now you're making me feel like I do need to justify myself... :p ::
Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I know it is suppose to come as a matching set and that you cannot mismatch rings and pinions. I bought it as a 3.70 set on ehay and I'm thinking I might have gotten screwed. The serial number on the pinion is unreadable so I can't verify it. What I noticed though is that the ring gear is 1/2" thicker that my old 3.00 gear where the pinion teeth diameter is not 1/2" thinner. So everything is more cramped now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.