How to Measure PUSHROD length? (GT40X heads & Cobra rockers) - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am almost done bolt my new 347 stroker engine together and I ran into a snag. I'm using a 90 roller block, comp extreme energy roller cam, GT40X ford racing heads, 1.72 cobra rockers from ford racing. The rocker setup is the pedistal (non-adjustable). The stock 5.0 pushrods are to short. How do I determine the right length? Do I measure between the valve tip & the roller and equat it back using the rocker ratio and then add for lifter preload? How many thousands of an inch should the lifters be preloaded? Help Please

Thanks Craig ::
68convert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ok... I believe (if i recall correctly) that you need to put a non hydrolic lifter in when measuring, insuring that you get the right length. after you have one in, you'll need to get a pushrod checking tool. Crane sells them. It's basically like a pushrod with ends that screw out. Once you have it in there and expanded to the longest it can be, you shoulkd be able to turn the pushrod with your hand with slight tention. Hope this helps! Look on Crane's site for more info!
66 coupe,V8 conversion, 87 302 roller motor, GT40 heads with 202 valves, Weiland Stealth Dual Plane Intake, mallory distributor, headers/ H pipes, C-4 tranny, Granada Disks, 8 in 3.80 posi rear, Magna performance suspension
stangdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is how I did it. It turned out fine.
You will need an adjustable push rod checker. I used Trick-Flows version. You will need the heads on with gaskets and torqued to spec. Work with #1 at TDC. Assemble the rockers for #1 with no shims. Use the adjustable push rod on the intake of #1. Torque the rockers down with the push rod loose. Expand the pushrod until it just touches the lifter and just begins to collaspe it. This takes a little educated feel but it's easy once you try it. Lock the push rod down so it doesn't move. Dissasemble the rockers and measure the push rod length. This length will be your starting point. Ford like the lifter preload about .020-.060. Shoot for .060. Add this to the length of your push rod. Repeat this procedure for the exhaust and at least four other cylinders. Hopefully you will come up close on all the lengths. Now, check with the vendors and see how close they are to what you need. Remember that longer is better as you can use shims to decrease preload but not the other way around. Good luck!

TT331FB - T3/.6/.63 turbos, Spearco intercooler, 302/331 Mexican Block,AFR 185 heads, 3" MAF, 70mm TB, 50# injectors, Tweecer, Track Heat intake, Comp cams roller blower grind,DIY-WB, Yokogawa video display,T-56 tranny, 9" 3.5:1 Traclock, 4x disk brakes, TCP most everything, shelby roll bar. First fire up 2/14/2004. Dyno 1/20/06 454HP/510FT-Lbs at 8 PSI
R100RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2004, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's some links to help:

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Pushrods/

http://www.trickflow.com/product/fo...pushroddata.htm

http://www.pushrods.net/
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.