Trick to oil dipstick tube install? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am putting the finishing touches on my 351W before installing it in the car. I had to buy a new timing cover because the one on my 302 was pitted real bad, and some of the holes were stripped out. Well I was at the auto parts store yesterday, and saw Mr Gasket chromed dipstick and tube, and thought what the heck that will look pretty good, and save me the hassle of trying to pull the old one off the 302.
Well I tried tapping it in the hole with a hammer lightly on the end of the tube, but it would only go in the hole about 1/8" before stopping. hammer a little harder still won't move. So I put some channel locks right above the crimp in the tube and try to tap it in by hammering on the channel locks...won't budge.
I pull it out, try turning it, rehammering at least a dozen times, the only thing I did manage was to smash my finger against the alternator bracket and start bleeding like a stuck pig.
So at this point the tube is trashed, the end is flared out badly from hammering, and the crimp is destroyed from the channel locks.
is it possible the hole in the repo timing cover is wrong? or maybe the tube it too big?

The good news it that I did get the front brake lines hooked up yesterday, and my fastback now has the front wheels on it!!
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had the same problem. Seems the manufacturers make different diameter holes and tubes.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Art

File the chrome off the end, try again.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Had the same problem, and couldnt get it to seal.
Then someone mentioned there was suppose to be a rubber 0- ring. Which mine didnt come with,works great now.
65 Fastback 2+2, carbon fiber teardrop hood, 306, 750 Holley, Parker funnel web intake, Comp XE284H cam, Toploader 4spd, Centerforce DF clutch, 4.11 trac-loc, Centerline telstars, 245x60x15 BFG rear tires. [color:red][/color]26x9x15 Hoosier slicks.[color:red][/color]
67stangcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SacBill

We had the same problem on a repro 289 cover, and it appeared that there was a 'seam' on the inner diameter of the hole. What we did was to take a bench grinder to the dipstick tube and take a small amount of the OD of the tube down to a point where it would fit in snugly. Use a bit of black permatex sealant on the end of the tube, and you'll be all set. Good luck and have fun! ::
SacBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 06:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys,
the simple answer is almost always the correct one, I should have thought of that myself!
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also put a bolt inside the tube on the end that you will be tapping. This will help reduce the possibilty of flaring the end.

I learned that the hard way also. ::

It's Nothing Cubic Dollars won't fix.
gbuzek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.