Vintage Mustang Forums banner

NEED HELP FAST with distributor install

858 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  guruatbol 
#1 ·
i posted the other day about my distributor troubles.
its a NEW dual vaccuum single points distributor
found TDC with finger on spark plug hole and lining up timing marks. dropped the distributor in point at #1, it wouldnt start and was popping through the carb, so i figured im 180 out so i pulled the distributor up and turned the rotor 180.

tried to start, itll turn over but barely idles and then dies

i need help
thanks in advance

#4 ·
well youre either going to have to try starting the car with the idle speed turned up a tiny bit, the dizzy turned a VERY LITTLE BIT, or get a helper.

One way or another you really should check the timing with a light.

#5 ·
i just tried pullin the valve cover to look at the valves, i turned the balancer to 0 degrees and the rotor is pointing towards #1, the valves seem to be up not really sure how to tell that tho

#6 ·
OK....maybe this will get across.....

The rotor isnt the only thing that has to line up.....THE POINTS HAVE TO CLOSE EXACTLY WHEN THE CORRECT TIMING IS INDICATED......

This is known as "statically timing" the motor.

As for whether or not you have the correct TDC, there is a good chance at the correct TDC, it could be possible to spin both #1 pushrods (no guarantee).

#7 ·
You can get your initial timing close by rotating the crankshaft manually to about 8 degrees BTDC. Hook up your timing light. Turn your ignition to run. Loosen the hold down and rotate your distributor until the timing light fires. Lock it down there. That ought to get it close enough to start and idle.

Phil

#8 ·
i increased the idle speed on the carb and rotated the distributor. it starts up but runs pretty crappy and when you rev it up to around 1500 rpm it pops up through the carb and dies

#12 ·
I forgot from the top if it was a small block...#1 is pointed to the back of the car to the passenger side a bit...

I have done this many times lately and when I was a teen I had a 289 that was very particular with a dual point Mallory...Loads of trouble until I learned how to do it...

Remove the #1 plug. Stuff a rag in far enough in to just plug the hole...the idea is it will pop out when you bump the car to TDC. Get a remote started. leave the key off at this point. Once you find TDC, you can place the dist in the hole with the rotor pointing to #1. You might mis it by a tooth, so be patient and take your time. Now adjust your points to 20 thousandths with a feeler guage before you stabb the hole (while the dist is out). Replace the plug, double check your fireing order and the fit of the wires to the plugs and cap...I know you never touched it, but it never hurts to double check...I have seen cars run with one wire not on all the way stock, but add more nifty goodies and bam no workie....

When done turn the key to run hook up your timing light, use your remote started (I made one from a push button switch and before I had one I used 2 screw drivers) and start the car. You may have to twist the dist as it turns over to get it to start and then with the light turn the dist to the correct timing.

You are now dine and all is well!

The most important thing is to take your time and don't get frustrated! That will only make it worse. Just do it by the numbers...Hooserbuddy had good imput too...follw him or this and you can't loose. Relax and come back to it if you have to. Don't rush it!

Mel ::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.