How much is my Restored 1971 Mach 1 worth??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

I live in San Jose California and have spent the last few years resoring my 1971 Mach1. I am going to sell it soon but don't really have an idea what it is worth. I have a couple friends telling me I can get 15k-20k for it easy. Let me describe it and if you guys could, let me know what you think or what you would pay for it.

1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 5 speed Tremic TKO 450+ HP

Car is in restored condition….not a perfect restoration (this is my first project). All these parts are brand new unless stated otherwise.

Engine: 5K invested
Brand new rebuilt 351C 4v all new parts (roller rockers, springs, intake ect.…450+ hp 500 miles on it)
4v heads
Headers
Dual exhaust, flowmaster 2 chamber
High torque starter
9 quart oil pan
MSD ignition box, MSD distributor, MSD wires, MSD coil.

Drivetrane: 5K invested
Brand new 5 speed Manual Tremic TKO transmission with overdrive,
Mclieod Scattershield, flywheel and racing clutch, custom pedal and cable assembly from modern driveline. 3.73 complelty rebuild Ford 9”.

Body:
Black paint…looks great
New bumpers, Mag 500 rims, BF Goodrich tires, prof tinted rear window

Suspension: All new
Complete suspension kit front and back
Front and rear sway bars
Coil springs, leaf springs
Welded on sub frame connectors

Interior:
New vinyl deluxe seats, headliner, everything redone…panels, carpet, trim.

There are a million more details I can list and I will when I make the add. Let me know what you think. Please do not say I should not sell it. I know this but I don’t have a choice.

Thanks
Larry
Larryfp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Larry, welcome to the sight. That sounds like a nice build job on the Mach. However, those prices seem a little high for a non-stock restored '71. They aren't yet pulling the value that earlier Machs are pulling. That being said, if you find the right buyer, you'll get your price, but I'd be looking at something in the $10,000-$12,000 range realistically. It doesn't matter how much you've actually put into it, it's what the market will bring.

Lots of things to consider from a buyer's standpoint. Do I want it for the modifications, or for the originality? How's the body, really? Is it an original CA car? Original color? Etc, etc. Be honest with yourself on what the car is worth to you and what is is worth to someone else, which may not be the same.

Good luck.
Feex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2004, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ditto

It is worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay.

Prices on the TV auctions seem inflated to me, but that is where all the people who want the cars and who have money are going to buy cars (and to get on TV and make a BIG deal).

95 Cobra R - 351 Windsor, GT40 U/L 65/80mm, GT40x, 3550-02, 3.27, xe270hr114 - 12.9@111
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te0UJnIB2jA
Ron_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agree with Feex and Skunky. Market for those is not nearly what the 64.5 - 70s are. Id expect someone to pay around 10-12 in your described state. Of course you never know, sometimes you can find just the right buyer at just the right time. Good luck and hope you get what you want out of it!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Agree with the rest---- $10,000 - $12,000 with the mods you listed (it actually brings the price down from a true restoration).
The '71-'73 will not bring the same money or appeal as the '69-'70 Mach 1's, and therefore are not as high in value. I sold a gorgeous 1973 Mach 1 last year that was restored front to back and only needed the paint touched up (a couple of small chips) and was darn lucky to sell it for $9300. Prices have climbed some, but a fully restored '71-'73 Mach 1 will only bring $15,000 or $16,000 and with mods you are shy of that range.
Sorry and hope you the best of luck selling it.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

the 71-73's are not valuable to most on this forum..I was offered $18,500 for my '72..I turned it down and still the guy keeps emailing me upping the price.the simple truth is they produced less 71's to 73's..the 65's and 66's are a dime a dozen..and by all standards the 71's and 73's are head and shoulders above the rest..stick to your guns..a good price will come along
72 Mach One (Greenwich Concours 1st place winner)
95 Vette convert LT1 (faster then my ability to drive it)

VMFTP 2.0 Question #19 Winner! (sort of)
Teebone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Knuckle Buster

I agree with TeeBone. Stick to your guns. If you have to sell it, you have to sell it. There were less 71-73 Mustangs than any other style. Only 14% of all mustangs produced between 64 and 73 were of the 71-73 era. There were more Mustangs produced in each of the years 65, 66 and 67 than the total of all 71-73's. Of course a greater percentage of the older versions were lost, wrecked or parted, so there are less than the original, and the demand is more. But if you can hang on, for who knows how many years, the 2nd generation stangs will have their time. I find that there is a fast growing demand on our models since the older ones are getting harder and harder to come by. The problem is finding the right buyer. Listing it on the auction network only fetches bargain humters, or the one person who is "looking" for that particular car. Your car sounds great. I'd love to see some pictures of it.
1969 GT California Special, M code, Tach, Speed Control, Tilt, AC, AM/FM, Intermittant Wipers, Ford Dealers Wife's car, all the goodies.
71steed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like a nice car but like the others have said, 16K appears to be high.

In real estate, the primary consideration is location, location, location
With classic Mustangs, the primary consideration, for me at least, is condition, condition, condition. Having saidthat, orginality also greatly influences the value. When I look at a car that has been modded, I try to figure out what its going to take to return it to its original state. Things like fender flares, tubs, non-standard paint quickly jack the cost to more than the value.
From what you described on yours, most of your mods could be easily removed, whcih helps to return some of its value.

I bought a mostly restored 72 Mach 1 in Jnauary. I looked for a long time to find the right car and finally found it in British Columbia. I paid $8200.00 for it. Its value is probably a little higher in the States (maybe 10K).

It seems to me that the mods you have described would appeal to a younger buyer. But, remember, once the value goes above about 10K alot of those buyers can't afford it. Older guys like me are looking for originality and condition.

Hope this helps.
Steve
72 Mach 1 Q Code, 71 Mach 1 M Code, 97 F150 daily driver.

71 Mach 1 M code, C-6, Standard interior, 64K miles, STILL awaiting restoration
72 Mach 1 Q code, C-6, Mach 1 interior, 137k miles, restored 2003
ChezDaJez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.