Turn signal & stop light wiring question for electrical Guru's - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to wolfeman

I have no turn signals and no stop lights. It's a 65 without emerg. flashers. I have wiring diagrams and test tools. The diagrams are vague as to what actually happens within the TS switch. Can anyone describe (using wire colors) how things are supposed to work (such as, with the left TS on, you should have voltage at the purple wire leading to the muffler bearing)?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member.../647975_17.jpg 65 GT coupe, 351W (Edelbrock Performer RPM Pkg.), Toploader, Versailles 9" with 3.70 trac-loc, 4 wheel discs. Leather seats, The actual car I learned to drive in 35+ years ago (except for the mods).

Check it out at www.cardomain.com/memberpage/647975
wolfeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

That happened to me on a 67, (on one side), I changed the bulb TWO times, then went after the wiring harness, Soooooo, 3 days later, I bought NEW bulbs, you guessed it the other bulbs only "looked" good but were not. My lesson. :p
He who dies with the most toys....Wins.
Begin every day as if it was on purpose!
Everything works out in the end, if it hasn't worked out, it's not the end
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fi...-sigponies.jpg
ponies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

the tail light bulbs are 1157's
sinpac@sbcglobal.net
1968 Coupe 302 4v
1977 Mach 1 302 2v

sinpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok I'll take a stab. Have you confirmed power to the t/s? Caution my memory may be off on colors. Check at the plug from the column to dash. Green should have power for the turn signal. Blue should have power for brakes (step on brakes to activate switch). For brakes orange/blue & orange/green should return power to the taillights.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll go check now and let you know.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member.../647975_17.jpg 65 GT coupe, 351W (Edelbrock Performer RPM Pkg.), Toploader, Versailles 9" with 3.70 trac-loc, 4 wheel discs. Leather seats, The actual car I learned to drive in 35+ years ago (except for the mods).

Old 06-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

In the 6 pin connector, with the connector dis-connected, probing the harnes side of the connector (not the steering column side), with the key on, there is voltage on the yellow wire and the blue wire. With the brake pedal depresses there is also voltage on the green wire.

With the 6 pin connector connected, and the two pin connector disconnected, there is no voltage at either the green/orange or orange/blue wires in either side of the connector.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

The yellow wire should be power for your horn. If you aren't getting juice out the orange wires it sounds like there is problem in the column harness or the turn signal switch. I'd suspect the actual t/s switch is broken. Pull the steering and check the t/s switch. If it looks okay retest at wires as they enter and leave the switch. That will tell you if the harness or switch is bad.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Will do. I'll get back to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.