Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Power Disc problems on a 68. HELP!

429 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rickmaan 
#1 ·
I hope someone can help. I have a 68 coupe with PDB and it sat for the winter. Now, I just touch the brake pedal, and they grab so hard that it wants to throw me through the windshield. When sitting at a stop, the brake pedal is very hard when you try and depress it. It hold great , and has a slight pull to the left, when cold, braking. If anyone can tell me what is wrong I would appreciate it. Also, I adjusted the rod in the booster to mate the master as described in the service manual. It just touches when sitting dormant.

Thanks in advance!

Brad - Des Plaines, Illinois

#3 ·
Hello,

Did it happen before you put it storage?
Is it a Manual or Automatic?
Was it non PB car before, and then converted to power. If so the brake pedal could be the problem. The pedals mount different and have a different throw which will cause you to "fly thru the windshield"

If not it may be rust on the rotors but I've never had that problem after storage.

Let us know some more info on your car.

Jon

#4 ·
Are the brakes dragging all the time or is the problem only when you hit the pedal? If it's only when you hit the pedal you may have multiple problems, I'm guessing rusty rotors and a bad booster. The 1st booster I put on my car when I did the disc conversion had an internal leak and all it took was a light touch of the brake pedal and the booster would apply full pressure to the MC. That wouldn't cause the brakes to pull to the left however, so I'd check your rotors and calipers for additional issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.