Changing out third member - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is it necessary to drop the rear axle housing to change out the chunk? I want to switch to a "posi" unit in the future but I'm not sure how soon. I will be replacing the rear suspension in a month or so and plan on cleaning up the pumpkin but I don't really want to change out the third memeber at that time. So what do the experts say?
74' 302, BG 525 Road Demon, AFR 185 Heads, Headman Elite Headers, HEI Distributor, C4, 3.55 Posi, 17x8 TT IIs, Toyo Proxes 4 225/45/17 Front, 235/45/17 Rear, Painless Direct fit, JME w/Autometer Gauges
gkoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Is it necessary to drop the rear axle housing to change out the chunk?
No
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, it is not necessary to drop the rear axle housing to change out the rear pumpkin. Just be careful when removing the pumpkin, 'cause it's a heavy sucker! A good jack adapter is nice to have, if not a lot of heavy bodies! If you are going to change out the suspension anyhow, why not just drop out the whole thing, detail up the housing and the pumpkin and change your rear end all at the same time? A lot less hassle for you to do that out of the car!
Feex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Its not necessary to drop the third member to change the rear gears (pumpkin or chunk) That one of the reasons Ford rear ends are so popular with Chevy guys You will have to pull the axles out to pull the pumpkin (Make sure you remove ALL of the copper crush washers or it won't come out)

If you are going to upgrade rear suspension I would do both of these jobs together to make this swap easier than lying on your back

Remember maddness takes its toll...Please have exact change

65 Mustang Convertible
I6 to 289 Conversion
C4 Automatic
SSBC Power Disk Brakes
1" Shelby Drop
Dual exhaust with 3 stage flowmasters
65rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

While not necessary it sure makes it easier. The third member is heavy, and does not fit well on the pad of the average floor jack. Why not replace it when you do the suspension replacement?
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you're going to pull suspension anyway, you'll find all the work a lot easier if you drag the 3rd out from under the car. There isn't really much effort to save in leaving the axle in place, and replacing the center section in place is a huge PITA unless you have a lift. Get all your parts together, then spend the hour it takes to bust everything out at once.

I just did this. I'd replaced the springs earlier, so I left them attached and just walked the 3rd out over one of them on a roller jack. Here's my recommendations:
  • Set the car on jackstands just ahead of the rear spring mounts.
  • Disconnect the driveshaft and the flexible brake hose from the body line fitting.
  • Put a roller jack under the pumpkin and take the spring load off the shackles.
  • Bust out the shackles.
  • Bust out the front spring mounts.
  • Drop and drag the whole shebang out from under.
  • Bust off the springs and clean up the 3rd member.
  • Pull the axles and the center section.
  • Install the new center section.
  • RECOMMENDED: have the axle bearings replaced and get new axle seals. Cheap maintenance while you have it apart.
  • Reinstall the axles.
  • Install the new springs. RECOMMENDED: poly bushings.
  • Walk the completed 3rd over one spring (a roller jack is necessary, a friend very helpful).
  • Bolt it all back up.
This would be a good time to replace the rear brake lines (the flex line if not the hard lines) and put a new axle vent tube in place as well.

Hope that's useful...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did exactly what you saying. New springs and shocks one day and then a month later swapped out the 2.79 open for a trac-loc 3.25. The floor jack and my 10 year old helper made removal a breeze.

We try to keep the car driveable and off the stands as much as we can.

65 289 Holley 4160, F4B, Long Tube Headers, 3.25 T-loc, coupe (father, son and daughter project)
64 1/2 coupe 289 4v, D-code (looong term puzzle)
64 1/2 conv 289 4v, D-code (long gone)
68 289 2v sprint 'B' coupe - Bone Stock (Holley 4412, 500 cfm 2v) SOLD, gonna miss that one.

68COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I find it easier to separate the 3rd member from the housing while still installed under the car. when you pull the rear end out you have to muscle the third member out. While still under the car, pull the axles, remove all the nuts and driveshaft, then jack up just the third member. The weight of the car will break the tight seal. When in the junk yard, if you have the rear high enough and only want the 3rd member, just hit each stud through with a hammer and pull it out. Saves a lot of time.
latamud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.