5.0 EFI in early mustang? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations? Was it worth it? I hear good things about adding the Electronic fuel injection to vintage 289/302.Any input or suggestions are appreciated. penart7@cox.net
ponyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Do a search with the search feature at the top. This has been discussed a ton.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I once compiled most of my 5.0 swap info into one page. Here it is:
Quote:

From 1962-1981, all Ford 221-260-289-302 small blocks used the 28.2oz imbalance. From 1982-2001, the 5.0 (302) used the 50oz imbalance. In 1985, the 5spd 5.0 Mustangs used a roller cam 5.0, and from 1986, until the end of 5.0-prowered Mustang production in 1995, all Mustangs used the ‘roller motor’, and by 1986, 5.0s with EFI were using ‘roller motors’. This information is written assuming that you want a ‘roller’ motor and have a small block car or all of the small block parts. Most 5.0s have a serpentine belt in place of the traditional V-belts. 5.0s also use a 4-bolt crank pulley, which complicates things more This leaves you with several choices, keep the serpentine setup, switch to V-belts and find a 4-bolt crank pulley, or use a conversion damper and bolt up the stock 3-bolt pulleys. If you want to stay with the serpentine belt setup, you would be able to keep the late model alternator which is a plus. The 5.0 timing cover will accept any style water pump (except the ones for 289s that dont need a backer). The 5.0 timing covers and timing chain sets accept the eccentric to drive the mechanical fuel pump. If you want an electric fuel pump, go to the junkyard and look at F150s with EFI. These trucks should have a frame rail mounted electric fuel pump that you can use in a classic car (take the brackets and related items). To fix the waterpump outlet problems encountered when using a ‘70 or later water pump on a pre ‘70 car, you can buy a special radiator, have yours modified at a radiator shop, or find a hose that you can trim down and use for the lower hose (a stock upper hose should fit fine). You will need to relocate your oil dipstick to the front of the motor. To do this you could buy a new cover, use your old cover, or drill a hole in the 5.0 cover (‘86-93) to put the dipstick in front. Don't forget to put a plug in the old dipstick hole on the side of the block (the hole just needs tapped for a 1/8in NPT brass plug.) You will need to reuse your original oil pan. ************************************************** **********************
The Mustang HO 1985 was the first year for the ‘roller’ 5.0, which was used in ONLY 5spd cars. 1986 Mustang 5.0 HOs had E6AE truck heads, cast pistons with no valve reliefs, Speed Density EFI, roller cams, and are generally considered the ‘worst’ 5.0 HO in stock form. 1987-’88 Mustang 5.0 HOs had E7TE heads, cast pistons, Speed Density EFI, and roller cams. 1988 Calif. Emissions Mustang 5.0 HOs had E7TE heads, forged pistons, Mass Air EFI, roller cams, and are generally considered the ‘best’ stock 5.0. The MAF EFI responds well to modifications, and the forged pistons are extremely durable and tolerate high-lift cams. For 1988, ONLY Calif. Emissions cars had Mass air, the rest were speed density. 1989-1993 Mustang 5.0 HOs had E7TE heads, forged pistons, Mass Air EFI, roller cams, and are generally considered the ‘best’ stock 5.0. The MAF EFI responds well to modifications, and the forged pistons are extremely durable and tolerate high-lift cams well.
EFI, Man, the EFI conversion is a whole ‘nother can of worms on top of the 5.0 swap. This just piles on another list of issues and parts. I’ll try to present as complete a list of possible. One problem is that the air filter on K&N style and factory setups interferes with the stock battery location. There are several things that you could try. One idea is to mount the intake like on non-HO motors, where the upper intake is reversed so that the air intake runs down the left side of the motor, out of the way of the stock battery tray. You could also re-locate the battery to the driver’s side or the trunk. Another dilemma is that all of the forms of shocktower bracing (stock, Monte Carlo bar, and Export brace) interfere with the EFI intake, necessitating an aftermarket support designed specifically for EFI-equipped classics. Another big issue is the wiring. Here you can go cheap and, using a wiring diagram for both the donor car and your Mustang, integrate the 5.0 harness with your original wiring, eliminating the extra wires along the way. The other wiring option is to buy a premade EFI conversion harness from (about $600) and drop everything right in. Here's some info courtesy of Lightning from the VMF: “If you use the EFI EGR spacer, you'll run into shock tower clearance issues on 65-66's. 1994 and newer 5.0 EFI motors use totally different connectors for the wiring and none of the sensors are compatable with an ‘87-’93 harness, plus they have some features built in the the ‘94-5 EEC that make them less desirable. Only HO motors use 19lb injectors, passenger cars use 14lb, so bolting a non-HO EFI setup on a motor that’s performance oriented is going to require some upgrades: Mass Air, and larger injectors. Ford motorsport sells 4 bolt v-belt pulley sets (crank, water pump, and alternator) that are very nice. www.fordfuelinjection.com IMO is the best site for figuring out how to do yor own wiring and getting the pieces to build your own harness, or buying a pre made harness. He has a very nice harness building kit for $60 that includes a 4 fuse block w/fuses that elimnates the fuseable links in the harness, it also includes all necessary relays, shrink tube, high temp wire sleeves, 2 rolls of harness wrap and plenty of corregated harness covering, in addition he has just about any pigtail you could imagine. Of course to do your own you need to know how to solder and how to read a simple 1 line schematic. In addition I constantly see new custom EFI harnesses on Ebay for $250. I’d never, ever fork out the $$ that Ron Morris, Painless or Windsor Fox ask for their harnesses. It’s not that difficult to figure out yourself if you understand the basics of an engine’s needs and have a whole lot of patience. Its very rewarding to start that car for the first time after you just wired it yourself. I realize that’s not for everyone but regardless theres no need to fork out $600 for a harness
Also, if you go to Mustangs Plus and find their 289 EFI page, you can see how the used a homemade/shortened K&N setup to clear the stock battery location. Also, if using a manual trans, note that ford deleted the clutch linkage hole, so you're gonna have to buy a clutch linkage adapter sold by many mustang vedors.
HTH
--Kyle
PS: To put EFI on a 289 or pre roller cam 302/5.0, you will have to change the cam to a 351w unit, or swap a few wires on the computer. Doing either of these things fixes any idle issue you may encounter when mixing a 5.0 computer (351w firing order) with a 302 firing order. I heard a EFI 289 run, and it idled like crap because he didn't do anything to correct for the difference in firing orders and the computer got confused.
Wow! thats a lot of info. Hope I didn't confuse you
Old 09-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, been there done that. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I am very very happy with my 5.0 HO /AOD in my early convertible. Just clik my link below and see some pics.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9/584053_1.jpg

Colt's Mustang Pages

MCA# [color:"red"]20195[/color]

"If I had known that getting married would slow down my Mustang restoration, I might have waited - getting married that is."
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.