Another console wiring routing question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have a 65 mustang with air conditioning and need help with wiring the console to the underdash connection. A previous response gave me the info I need for routing the console wire to the dash. However, I forgot to ask about the connection to the underdash wiring. In this regard, do I have to install a special underdash wiring harness to connect the wiring from the console? I see such a harness advertised in parts books. It seems to be overkill to have to install a complete harness just to connect one wire for the rear console light. Perhaps I could make a wire for connecting to the console harness and a door open vacant lead under the dash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
gcstegman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

IIRC on my 66 with A/Trans the wires that connect to the shift indicator light have an extension for the console lights.
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2004, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Same on my '65
Dave
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I beg to differ, but the shift selector light is a completely different circuit in '65/'66. The reason, is that the shift indicator light is lit only when the headlights are on (ok, technically, only when the dash lights are on)for a '65, and it's on anytime the key is on in a '66 ... either way makes it not a good place to hook up the console lighting.

There are 2 connectors under the dash for the console lighting (and this part of the wiring is the same for both '65's and '66's). The rear console lights will plug into black/blue female bullit connector under the dash and they operate with the rest of the interior lights. If you have a full console, the glove box light will connect under the dash to the green/yellow female bullet connector, as it can operate at any time, with or without the key on.

There is no "special underdash harness" for console equipped cars. All cars where equipped with the bullet connectors to hook up the console lighting, and simply weren't used on cars without a console.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are these two harnesses taped together? I agree with your statement as to how the lights operate, but I am pretty sure there are two groups of plugs near the shift lever.
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

What happens under the dash is unknown to me, when the wires come down along the trans tunnel they are together with the shift indicator light peeling off to the shifter and the other two connectors sitting there ready for the console.
Dave
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, I understand the confusion. Yes, there's a "jumper harness" that goes from the bullet connectors under the dash and ends at about the shifter. This harness, has 2 wires in it. The shift selector light gets plugged into one, the rear console light harness into the other. I understand where you guys are comming from, as the 2 wires are together, but they're 2 distinct wires, though, on different circuits.

In other words, we are ALL right
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.