Carb is spitting gas out the top - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Well, I don't have a clue what is going on. I took the valve covers off to check the firing order. It looks to be the standard 289/302 order. I put it back together, and gas out the top. I thought, well maybe its the carb. I went to Autozone and got a new Edelbrock with electric choke, hooked it up, still gas spitting out the top of the carb.

I didn't do anything to the engine. I didn't move the distributor at all. I didn't mess with the timing at all. All I did was remove the plug wires. I don't get it. :wall:

What could be wrong?
sykesk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to robbie

Float level is too high and or the fuel pressure is too high, Also there may be some particles of dirt getting into the carb and holding the needle and seat open. All are easy fixes.Some times at hard tap with a screw driver handle will fix the seating problem,

67 GT 500 #1590 "Shelly"
67 Chevy II nova "Sherry"
833 HP 542 CI Dart alum motor
'32 Ford Tudor Rod
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

but, I replaced the carb with a new edelbrock....wouldn't that have fixed the carb/float problems?
sykesk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had that happen with a Holley carb, ain`t it nice when the fan catches it and it sprays all over the place :horror:
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know there are guys and gals here who swear by Holley carbs, but I have never owned one that gave me good service on a Ford engine. Your float level is set too high, so adjust it.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

sounds like the float level but you mentioned the plug wires off double and triple check the firing order if it is running a little rough then I would suspect that.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

hmm...since you have a new edelbrock installed wiht the same problems as b4, maybe your fuel pressure is too high, blowing the needle off teh seat. What's your fuel pressure at the carb?

I had that happen on a holley once. The floats were stuck in teh down position...letting fuel in non-stop.

2000 GT...5-speed...29mpg

1964 1/2 Coupe...long term project
johns69fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's not clear too me, was the car NOT spitting gas before you took the valve cover off? If it was running fine before you took the valve cover off, I would double check the plug wires again. If it was spitting gas before you took the valve cover off, the other suggestions of the fuel pressure being to high is a strong possibility.

Good Luck
John Cooper
Old 10-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it's spitting gas out the horn of the carb, it's a timing issue. This timing issue could be way too much timing, way too little timing, or most likely ... plug wires on wrong, so they're firing at the wrong time. I'm going with the plug wires since you say it didn't do it before, and it does it now after you pulled the plug wires.

Standard 289/302 firing order is 15426378. The first thing you need to do is figure out which is the number 1 post on the distributor. At this point, you can't simply guess that the mark by number one is correct.

Pull the no. 1 plug and bring the piston to TDC of the compression stroke ... then see where the rotor is pointing. THAT is your number 1 post. The cylinders are numbered 1-4 front to back on the passenger side and 5-8 front to back on the driver's side. the rotor will turn counter clockwise so make doubly and triply sure you've got them going to the right cylinders.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
If it's spitting gas out the horn of the carb, it's a timing issue.
Hmm..never heard of that before. Learn something new everyday. :highfive:

2000 GT...5-speed...29mpg

1964 1/2 Coupe...long term project
johns69fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would definitely agree with John and say it is related with timing. My timing was off on my 302 and it shot gas through the top of the carb and then caught on fire! Backfire if you will. Hook up a timing light to the car and double check the spark plug wires. We also kinda need more info on the before conditions. Did it spit gas through the carb before you did this work? Was the distributor out of the car? Definitely a head scratcher if you didn't mess with the distributor and the spark plug wires are on correctly. What fuel pump do you run and is it stock pressure? I run a new Holley chrome mechanical fuel pump (around $80 or so, nothing too fancy) with a 600 cfm edlebrock carb and it doesn't do that. It only spit fuel through the carb when the timing was messed up.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

my buddy was just working on a friends 66gt vert and i got a call asking me " what do i do when gas and flames shoot out the top of the carb ". lol

i first asked uh did you guys pull the dizzy out by any chance when you were working on it .... " yes" . it was way off, almost 180 out. got it put back in the right way and its ok now. so , timing very well could be it.

i suppose my other guess would be too much fuel pressure. but it sounds like you didnt do much else to the car to cause something like that but who knows with these old cars . one problem after another til you work em all out :chainsaw:
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/66sta...hrissy3_1_.JPG 66 coupe,289,C4,Edelbrock cam,weiand stealth,edelbrock carb, Pertronix,3.55 gears-detroit locker,3"cowl hood,Hedman headers, 2.5" X pipe exhaust going out 2 chamber flows,front and rear sway bars, Eibach springs,KYB's, traction bars.91GT bucket seats,CD player, power locks and alarm. daily driven! http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/66stanger-01GT,5spd,cobra body kit,mineral gray.
Restomod66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.