1968 California Special: Present and future collectible value? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

The 1968 California Special (Originals) have their followers and detractors. For some is just a coupe with a fancy shelby trim and for others is a very special Mustang that Ford built(4118 were produced)They come from factory as plain jane like a 6cil all the way to a 428ci Big Block and all the options available for 1968 Although their official name is 1968 GT/CS NOT all of them are TRUE FACTORY GT'S The GT option came as a separate option for this car and can only be verified through a Marti report. The question for this forum is where do you think that this car stands in the Mustang Market values? Is it a very collectible car or its the fact that since they are all coupes their collectible value suffers compared to convertibles and fastbacks of the same year? All opinions are welcome.
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had an outstanding Cal Spec that I bought at an auction, not knowing if it was real. Turns out that it was, but I still could not get high dollar for it even with the Marti Report. Sold it for $18 3 years back on Christmas day. More than one person told me that it was 'Just a nice 289 coupe with stripes'. With Shelby's out of site and clones getting rather common, I think the Cal Specials will do well. You're not gonna buy it as an investment are you? That car got a lot of attention.

jim-

Here is the test to find whether your Mustang is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.

http://home.comcast.net/~jim7485/wsb/index.html

@===------,------,------,------.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's one for sale near me but this guy must be smokin some crazy stick if he thinks he'll get $27,900. Car is in Michigan.
http://www.classicautoshowplace.com/...auto-showplace

jim-

Here is the test to find whether your Mustang is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.

http://home.comcast.net/~jim7485/wsb/index.html

@===------,------,------,------.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

The California Special option can add about $3000 to a car thats otherwise nearly perfect. If it's a rusted out heap, then the option won't add nearly as much to the value.

By the way, the 428 never made it into any Cal Specials. The R-code coupes came later in the year, and only about 50 were produced. So for all you fastback fans, the R-code Coupe is the rarest 'Stange of them all! Even more unique than the Shelbys.

Jim

Heeeerrrre cheby, cheby, cheby!
8R01S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

They did make a few high country specials with the cobra jet. I saw it in the registry.
bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

According to the Cobra Jet Registry, there were 221 R-code coupes built in 1968.

But only 34 R-code convertibles (not counting the GT500KR verts).

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Beg to differ. Just f.y.i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R01S View Post
The California Special option can add about $3000 to a car thats otherwise nearly perfect. If it's a rusted out heap, then the option won't add nearly as much to the value.

By the way, the 428 never made it into any Cal Specials. The R-code coupes came later in the year, and only about 50 were produced. So for all you fastback fans, the R-code Coupe is the rarest 'Stange of them all! Even more unique than the Shelbys.

Jim
There were 3, 68 GT/CS 428 CJ cars made. One candy apple red, one Wimbledon white and one Brittany blue. Here is the blue one being restored by my father and I. The car will be coming out in mustang monthly in the near future.

68.5 California Special
GT/CS428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

It seems collectors aren't willing to pay high dollar for any Mustang coupe, with a few rare exceptions. I would have thought the early Indy Pace Car Mustangs would be very desireable and demand very high prices. Apparently, that's not the case. (I'm sure the actual pace cars are a different story.) Overall, I think this is a good thing because it means most people can pick up a nice vintage Mustang for a reasonable price and enjoy it. And that's what these cars are really about.

I think it would be cool to build a HCS convertible. Otherwise, I think the CS and HCS are neat cars. But I wouldn't particularly be interested in buying one.

As for their future, unless there's some kind of pop-culture phenomenon, like a popular TV or movie character driving a CS, I don't see the popularity increasing any time soon. They have no "racing heritage", like a Shelby or Boss Mustang, and they don't have a pop-culture tie-in like the Bullit Mustang or (groan) the modern "Eleanor".

Last edited by Klutch; 06-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RCodeConv View Post
According to the Cobra Jet Registry, there were 221 R-code coupes built in 1968.

But only 34 R-code convertibles (not counting the GT500KR verts).
An old coworker that is now retired bought one of these new. He drove it up and down the east coast between Columbia, SC and Conn. at his Navy yard he was stationed at.
He kept it a couple of years and then traded it in for a used '67 'vette he still owns.
Funny thing was him telling me when he went to buy it, there was over a foot of snow on the ground, and the dealerships salesman handed him a broom and told him to go pick out one.
He went on to tell me there were a lot of Shelby's still sitting on the lot too.
I have the original pony from his grill on my desk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.