How do you adjust turn signal speed? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My turn indicators have been acting weird lately. They started slowing down, then speeding up once I had been driving for a few minutes. This was right before my battery died, so I thought it may have something to do with that.

Now, with a brand new battery, they blink way too fast. What can I do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rate is a function of the flasher unit -- to change rate, change flasher.
warugenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a bad flasher. I don't think turn signals have "speeds" to adjust. I know on my newer cars, they blink faster when the bulb is bad...
xxxxxxxxdbalicki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't adjust the turnsiginal speed. It is determined by the resistance load on the metalic strip inside the flasher can, and if everything is right, it will click and blink at a normal, consistant speed.

This might be a stupid question, but what is acting up, the dash indicators, the lights themselves, or is the clicking noise varying?

It coulo be the Insturment panel voltage regulator (not entirely likely), battery voltage regulator, or flasher can. The IVR is $40 or so, an elctronic battery regulator is $10 from Autozone, and a flasher can (clickey thing) is $4. It could be that you have some funky wiring, corroded bulb sockets or intermittently working bulbs, which could vary the resistance load on the flasher can and make it click at different speed.

Also, why did you replace the battery, had it been boiled over? That would be a sign that the battery voltage regulator is bad and overcharged the battery siginificantly for an extended period of time, causing it to boil the fluid out and ruin the battery. To get a more precise diagnosis, more details are needed.
HTH
--Kyle
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I'd put my money on a ground problem. Start with changing all of your turn signal bulbs (fronts and rears) and clean the bulb sockets really good (WD-40). It's probably a corroded socket-to-bulb contact that's causing it. If that doesnt fix it, I'd check all of your grounds for a corroded one.

1966 GT Coupe - See it here>>> My 66 GT
1989 GT Convertible - More mods than my 66! Click it>>>My 89 GT
1999 Powerstroke>>>>>>Monster Truck
2002 Mercedes E430 SE
Red66GTCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you using the correct viscosity of turn signal fluid? Too thick and they blink slowly, too thin and they blink too fast :rofl: :rofl: :joker:

'67 Fastback 351c, T-5, 3.70 Trac-lok
'69 Mach 1 project
'71 Boss 351
joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
It coulo be the Insturment panel voltage regulator (not entirely likely),
The CVR of the instrument cluster has nothing to do with turn signals. It only controls the voltage going to the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges (drops them to ~7v). All the lighting circuits, including the dash lights and turn signals are a 12v circuit.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The CVR of the instrument cluster has nothing to do with turn signals. It only controls the voltage going to the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges (drops them to ~7v). All the lighting circuits, including the dash lights and turn signals are a 12v circuit.
I thought it controlled everything on the cluster.
I guess you learn something every day. :winkgrin: Thanks for setting me straight JohnPro. :highfive:
--Kyle
Old 01-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it actually matters how quickly the flashers flash, you can try a "heavy duty" can type flasher and see if its any slower....thats about it.

The rate of flash depends on the load the flasher sees. I guess it's theorhetically possible there could be a semi short to ground causing a high flash rate, but I wouldnt bet on it.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Make sure the turn signal connecting flange is torqued to the proper ford specs, and as said, check the level of the turn signal fluid. If that doesnt rectify the situation, check the corrosion of the bulbs/sockets/wiring of the turn signal bulbs, and replace the flasher can.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

TS will always slow down with battery voltage going down. you may have gotten accustomed to slow flashes and when you replaced battery the faster speed was more noticable.aalso, your VR may be putting out too high voltaage -check that.
Pony Carb
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can also replace the flasher unit with one of the newer electronic types. They flash the same speed all the time. Down side is the speed does not change when a bulb or bulbs burn out. I think I'm going to switch mine back to the old resistance type. With the old type(resistance) the turn signals will slow down or just stay lit if a bulb burns out.
red1970mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

It doesnt hurt to check the grounds and conections but i think your battery suspician is right. The Battery was probably on its way out which made its voltage drop cousing the blinker to blink slowly once the car is running and charging the battery the voltage will increass making the blinkers speed up. Now that the battery is replaced it has a higer voltage making the binkers to be a littel faster.
The one think you might want to test further is the voltage regulator, i am not 100% shure, but the voltage put out by the altinator shouldnt have taken awhile in order to get up to the point were the blinker would blink faster. You should have noticed a difference as soon as you started the car.

67 I6 coupe to be restored

Now finally painted.... Until I sand it down and try again.
sparky65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

On the older Fords the load ( number of bulbs) and the correct flasher will give a "normal" flash rate. The flasher is really only a circuit breaker on the old cars. It has a pre-determined load rate and will break (blink) and reset ,blink,etc. When adding a load ( trailer wiring,extra bulbs,etc. you can get a "heavy duty" flasher from a parts store. OR you can buy the green flasher from Ford dealer ( sorry, I don't have part#) that was designed for 4 way ( emergency warning) flasher and it will flash at the same rate no matter the load.BUT, it will not blink slower when bulbs are out.It will blink when ALL the bulbs are burned out! The reason the flasher would stop or become very slow was by design to warn driver of malfunction in the flasher system. Similar to new cars where they flash fast if bulb is out. Same,but different! :: As others have noted you should always have good contact in the bulb sockets etc.,good,clean grounds,too........
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.