Ballast Resistor ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey All, Im putting an Unilite Mallory distributer in my 302,I did a voltage check on the neg side of the coil while engine was at idle and got 12 volts so I guess my factory resistor wire is non exsistant this was with my old dual point Mallory distributer installed, I have a ballast resistor in a box of parts that came with the car that I hooked up and got it down to 10 volts but from what I have read in the search I should read between 7 and 9 volts to be safe. What should I ask for when I go to get one at the parts store? Not sure how much resistance mine is rated at? Thanks Dave.

68 Fastback, mild built 302, 4 speed Toploader, 3.50 traction loc
68BUCKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Summitracing.com sells the mallory ballast resistor maa-700. Your resister wire could be still there but not hooked up. I just installed the unilite with their coil and filter, simple installation but my resistor wire was intact.
spacer
MAA-700

$14.88
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Overview
Brand: Mallory
Product Line: Mallory Ignition Coil Ballast Resistors
Resistance: 0.75-1.5 ohms
Quantity: Sold individually.

Protect your ignition from burnout.

Ballast Resistor, 0.75-1.5 Ohms, Variable Resistance, Each

These Mallory heavy-duty porcelain resistors feature a 0.75-1.50 ohm and a 200-watt rating, and use threaded terminal connections for better wire retention. They are available for most standard point-type or electronic ignitions. The resistors have variable resistance values for improved cold weather starting

pasted from their site
1971 vw dune buggy
1970 el camino 454 ss clone
fastback_lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I installed a mallory unilite in my 68 302 car. I was hoping to be able to throw 12v to the system but was'nt sure so I called the tech support guys at mallory (actually it's mr gasket). For the model distributor and coil (for electronic ingnition) that I had (both mallory), the tech guy told me ideally I needed 12v to the coil and 7-10v from coil to distributor (never heard of resisting the wire between coil and distributor). I picked up a ballast resistor from my local NAPA store and am measuring 8v to the distributor. The tech guy also informed me that some of their distributors would handle a full 12v. You might check with them before you do anything.
[color:"blue"]Taking it apart was easy![/color]
weagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.