Need details on '68 Nugget Gold interior - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a 1968 Mustang coupe with a Nugget Gold interior (Code 2Y). I purchased the car about 15 years ago after it had been cosmetically restored by a previous owner. It needs to be redone, and I have a few questions about the proper interior colors.

When I bought the car most of the interior was gold (seats, door panels, headliner, windshield pillar pads, windlace, and all interior metal). The carpet, dash pad, and the pad above the glove box were black. These black items really looked out-of-place. I realize that the Nugget Gold interior is not the most common color, and even now (much less 16 years ago)it is difficult to find sources for many of the interior parts, but I want to try to refinsh the car correctly.

I've seen one car with a Nugget Gold interior at a car show, and the carpet and dash pads appeared to be a brown color (dark Nugget Gold?). The few Nugget Gold cars I've seen in magazines have had a variety of different colors. To further confuse things, I notice that The Paddock offers a Nugget Gold interior kit, but it includes and Ivy Gold carpet and what they call a "green/gold" headliner.

Does anyone out there know the correct colors for the carpet and dash pads on my car? Also, most vendors offer interior paint and vinyl dye in dark Nugget Gold and light Nugget Gold. Any ideas as to which shade is correct for the various parts of the interior? The interior metal parts (dash, doors, and rear seat side panels) appear to be light Nugget Gold, and I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Thanks for any feedback.

billm1968
billm1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bill,

My car was purchased this way so I can't say if it is correct. The carpet is Brown (light Saddle?). My headliner had also been replaced and it is Parchment. I had to replace the sunvisors and I purchased Parchment and they match exactly. As for the dash pad, mine is currently Black. You must have an early 68 with the pillar pads and the knee pad above the dash. My car does not have these items. I'm going to watch this post myself to see if anyone has a definite answer for the dash pad.

[ b]65' Coupe, I6, AT, PS, PB, Fact. AC

67' Coupe, I6, AT, PS, Fact. AC

68' GT/CS, 289, AT, PS, PDB, Fact. AC

[/b]
[color:"red"]MCA # 59072[/color]

mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have 68 f/b with nuggett gold interior, dash pad is chocolate brown as was the carpet,no pillar pads or knee pad headliner was some form of light gold color , hope this helps.
blueoval68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Blueoval68,

Thanks for the information. I'm leaning towards the "brown" color for the dash pads and carpet, but still don't have a definite answer. Brown would definitely look more appropriate than black- or ivy gold for that matter.

Also, I just got a listing for the interior paint codes and applications for 68 Mustangs with the Nugget Gold interior. I got this information from a very generous member of the VMF. Carpet, dash pad, and headliner colors do not appear in the listing, but just about everything else is covered. I'll forward a copy to anyone that wants it.

Thanks again,

billm1968
billm1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Nugget Gold interiors

Hi,I' ve had a 68 Mustang Fastback since it was new.It has the Nugget Gold interior,seats,doorpanels,headliner and kickpanels with chocolate brown dashpad and carpets.I want to replace the headliner and sunvisors and lots of suppliers show Nugget Gold availability but not for the windlace material.Is this a real problem?
gilbo41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Nugget interior came with brown or black appointments. Personally, I think the brown version looks way better. Brown pads are not available new, you'll need to dye black ones to brown. You may need to dye parchment windlace to nugget.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a '69 with nugget gold. My seat belts and headliner are tan (I think it is parchment). My dash, steering wheel, console and everything in the front is the dark brown. I think it looks pretty good...better than black.

If some of the interior pieces aren't available in Nugget Gold I would go with either dark brown (saddle) or tan (parchment) as a substitute. My car is painted champagne gold in color so I stick with the lighter tan to keep the car from appearing too dark.

Don't get anything Ivy Gold. That has a green hue to it and will clash bad with the other stuff.

1969 Coupe Restomod...in progress http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/for...ead.php?t=8156
2011 V6 Grabber Blue...let the mods begin!
2008 Power Wheels Mustang Bullitt Conversion!
Past Mustangs: '66 Coupe, '69 Coupe, '69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdoc View Post
If some of the interior pieces aren't available in Nugget Gold I would go with either dark brown (saddle) or tan (parchment) as a substitute.
No need to do that, a proper dye job will hold up very well. About 6-8 months ago I dyed a pair of 71 deluxe door panels from black to blue, and they looked factory.

Since the kick panels, door panels, headliner and seats are available in Nugget Gold, that pretty well covers it anyway.

Last edited by 22GT; 05-18-2010 at 09:35 PM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
No need to do that, a proper dye job will hold up very well. About 6-8 months ago I dyed a pair of 71 deluxe door panels from black to blue, and they looked factory.

Since the kick panels, door panels, headliner and seats are available in Nugget Gold, that pretty well covers it anyway.
Good point, I kinda forgot about that. If you decide to do that I would get the lighter color for that purpose. I would think trying to dye the darker brown to nugget gold would be difficult.

1969 Coupe Restomod...in progress http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/for...ead.php?t=8156
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

No one mentioned seatbelt color?? Black was used on the '68 Shelby Buckskin interiors. '69 used a light gold or tan ( hard to say what it looked like before fading ) . . but what about the '68 Nugget Gold interiors?? Gold? Black? Brown? I'm guessing it is black, should have been brown Ford, match the carpet !! Gilbo has an original care . . help.

Last edited by PetesPonies; 07-10-2011 at 12:24 AM.
PetesPonies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

I did a '68 convertible, originally Nugget Gold. The dash pad was a dark brown, black carpet Good/bad/or indifferent, this is how I re-did the interior (I opted for gold carpet):

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Pictures 281.jpg (93.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 021.jpg (91.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 020.jpg (96.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
I did a '68 convertible, originally Nugget Gold. The dash pad was a dark brown, black carpet Good/bad/or indifferent, this is how I re-did the interior (I opted for gold carpet):

Neil
What color gold is your carpet? I ended up using parchment for my carpet because the gold color samples seemed too bright a color. Your carpet looks nice. Plus, I have parchment seatbelts and headliner so I figures it would be ok.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I ordered mine from Stockinteriors.com
Their P/N color 570 (Gold)
ACC P/N color 20-022 (Gold)

Neil Hoppe
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Seat belt color??
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Where did you guys go?? gilbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.