Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit System installed, charged, operable. REVIEW - LONG

17K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  gwstang 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My last winter project is now done. I installed a Perfect Fit System from Classic Auto Air in my '65 Convertible. Here are my thoughts.

First of all, I should point out that I chose this system for the following reasons:

1. It has consistently received recommendations on this board.

2. The Perfect Fit system allows you to use a long console (non-a/c console) in a 65/66. Since the stock air conditioner hung under the center of the dash, this is not possible with the stock style systems. I have a lot of time and effort tied up in restoring my console, so I wanted to keep it. Also, my 4R70W's Transmission Control computer is in glove box area...so I had a vested interest in not going to a short (factory a/c) console.

I went with the 134 system rather than R12. I called the factory and they said there was absolutely no reason to stay away from the 134. The system works fine with either. R12 is much more expensive than 134, as it's production has been banned for several years due to ozone issues.

The kit came complete with everything necessary for the install. I mean everything. Things I didn't even think of, it had in it...like a new high performance fan blade and fan shroud. I knew it would come with a new 3 groove crank pulley for my P/S car...but I mean...it even came with new bolts for the pulley and the fan. It came with new fan shroud screws. It litterally came with everything.

The only problem I had with any of the kit components was that one of the included vent hoses was a few inches too short for how I had my vents placed (4 go under the dash). I called the factory and they sent out another free of charge. It did take about 3-weeks to get it...but "free" is hard to argue with.

The instructions included for the install could be clearer. The installation instructions for the "Power Pack" unit which installs in place of the factory heater box were excellent. However, the underhood instructions basically consisted of a reprint of an article on how one of the magazines installed a different CA system. It took a lot of head scratching to figure out what hose went where and how everything was mounted.

In particular, there was a single sheet included with the Sandan compressor that showed the mounting for the compressor/bracket assembly. At first I didn't even know that sheet existed leading me to a couple of hours of goofing around. Once I found it, it was somewhat helpful, but really not perfectly clear.

I think it boils down to this: If you've installed a couple of a/c systems or done any significant a/c work before this is going to be really straight forward for you. If (like me) you've never done this before...you can figure it out...but it's going to take some puzzling around and fits and starts...maybe even a couple of calls for technical support.

Once installed, it really is a nice looking system. There are a couple of "gotchas you run into though".

1. If you have a long console you have to trim it to fit around the power pack. I had to trim mine a lot. Basically I had to cut the plastic that forms the passenger side and top of the glove box portion of the console that fits back up under the dash. The power pack sticks out far enough from the firewall that it interferes slightly with flipping up the console door. My door now only opens about 85% of the way. Really no huge big deal, but a surprise.

2. The factory glovebox will no longer fit. The power pack gets into part of its space as well. The CAA kit includes a new ABS "tray" to put in place of the glove box. I thought it looked cheasy as hell. I was putting a stereo in the glove box and ended up using that tray as the bottom of a 2 piece box I built out of ABS. I just BARELY had enough room to mount my DIN head unit...I mean BARELY. I bet there isn't 1/16" clearance between the glovebox door and the face plate on my DIN unit...and I had to put the DIN unit in the spot where I had the most Depth (7"). Most of the box is only about 5" deep now.

3. The kit includes a round plate that mounts under the passenger side fresh air inlet and blocks it off for all eternity. On my car this was actually a good thing. My heater box was in such decrepit condition that there was a huge fresh air leak on the passenger side which caused an annoying whine from the passenger on cold morning drives. The plate seems to have fixed the annoying whine.

I went ahead and installed new chrome knobs and such on my A/C controls, but you wouldn't have to. The CAA unit comes with a new 3 speed fan switch, new cables, etc. It's really nice. One of the cables runs through the firewall and controls a water valve on the heater hose throttle or close off hot water to the heater core. The old "DEF" switch now actuates a micro switch to turn the compressor on and off (assuming the fan switch is on).

I took the car in this morning to have it filled up with freon. They evacuated the system. Put 22 oz of R134 in (the compressor comes with oil in it already), fixed a small leak I'd left on a compression fitting, and then let it sit for half an hour as CAA recommends. Then, they spun the compressor about 50 times by hand, as CAA recommends, installed the compressor belt and fired it up. The mechanic tells me the air is 38 degrees coming out of the vents. His exact words were, "I'm telling you, that thang get's COLD now!"

So, bottom line. The heat works great now. It blows cold air and lots of it. It does require a couple of mods to the car. The instructions could be better. The controls are top notch. The look is perfect for my car.

I give it 8 out of 10 at this point. Of course, it may blow up tomorrow. If so, I'll let you know.

Phil

See less See more
#2 ·
Pictures? Sounds like a great mod... what was the total cost, bottom line?

#3 ·
I agree with the instructions being poor. I purchased their daily driver system to attach to my factory underdash unit. I also purchased from Mustang Project their instruction book on installing the system in 65-66 mustangs. The book was so incredible complete. Without it I would have spent many more hours on the installation. It's the best $25 I've spent. This book should be included with CAA's kit. For $899 I'd hope to receive much better instructions rather than some reprint from and old Mustang Monthly.

#4 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I went and looked up the Mustang Project's webpage. They have the book on sale for $9.95. I paid $3.85 for shipping (very reasonable) for a total of $13.80.

NOW HoosierBuddy, we want some pictures of your install!!!!

#5 ·
Excellent writeup, Phil. One thing you're very good at is documenting your endeavours. Pics forthcoming, I'm sure.

Your R134a system blow 38 deg F air. Hmm. My 1.75# R-12 system, while not being the integrated unit that you have, blows 32-40 deg F air. The temp switch cycles bewteen those two points. That's probably one of the advantages of a rotary compressor versus a piston style unit.

You indicated the defrost lever now controls the compressor. If so, how do you defrost the windshield?

THanks again fo rthe info. Keep doing the great job of writing up your efforts!

#6 ·
I was afraid someone was going to ask me this. I haven't hardly played with it enough to be sure....but here's what I think:

1. The left slide lever controls if the plenum sends heat to the defrost ducts or not by opening a door in the plenum.

2. The center slide lever controls if you have heat or not by throttling the valve on the heater hose from full open to full close or anywhere in between.

3. The right slide controls compressor operation by actuating a microswitch.

This allows you to run the heat and air conditioning at the same time to put dehumidified warm air into the car and through the defrost ducts.

The fan switch is either off, which shuts off the compressor regardless of the right slide, or gives you low, medium, or really frickin loud.

The owner of the dealer I was at told me they actually saw 28 degrees F at the duct. He said it set a new record for their shop. The mechanic didn't tell me that...so take it with a grain of NaCl.

Phil

p.s. I have to play with the levers a bit more to be sure on those settings above...I might have the left and center ones switched in my description.

#9 ·
Awesome review! I like to see these because I know they're super helpful to others in the future. Thanks a bunch for posting it.

I have the CAA Daily Driver system and it was one of the easiest upgrades I installed on my car. Still running strong and blows at 33*F! Of course, I almost never use it, as it has to be above 95*F for me to even think about rolling the window up and turning the AC on...

#13 ·
uhhh....this post is 12 years old.
That being said...the unit is still in my car and still works fine.
Phil
Thanks...I was digging through the forum looking for reviews and noticed it was your post and I still see you posting a lot, so figured I would ask.

Being that it's a 12 year old system and you're still happy is a pretty good reference. :)

#12 ·
But if still running this long, that design must have been good!

#14 ·
Dan,

I've had mine in my car for 10 years, and I'm still loving it. Once I did the 24" radiator and AC condenser conversion along with adding electric fans I can run the AC, which gets ice cold when it is well over 110 degrees outside with no problem.

Hope that helped.

#16 ·
Dan,

I've had mine in my car for 10 years, and I'm still loving it. Once I did the 24" radiator and AC condenser conversion along with adding electric fans I can run the AC, which gets ice cold when it is well over 110 degrees outside with no problem.
Hope that helped.
Thanks Peter...your thread at the other site was another I saw that referenced this system. The only difference with my setup is that I'm going to put the compressor on the passenger side, so I want a system that will be flexible enough to let me do that (and not have to run hoses all over the place to do it).

#15 ·
Has anyone else noticed? Frequently a O.P. is asked if he/she used the search function. When someone uses search and posts the thread
he/she found we hear "hey (do you realize) this is an old thread?"

#18 ·
I put the CAA Perfect Fit system in mine, that replaces the heater box and is one integral defroster. I did not want the big honking condenser where my knee would hit it every time I sit down. I did it myself and then took it to be charged. I like the way the adjuster works that is on the mount for the belt. Very easy. The only thing I needed help with was when I was ready to mount the new unit, I got my oldest son, that lives across the road, to help me by putting the nuts on the firewall (under the hood) while I held it in place. Do your self a favor and pull the front seats, it will be so much easier to fit the unit/vents/wiring etc. That was several years ago and it will still freeze swmbo out. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.