'67 trunk lid torsion bar installation - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I can't seem to get even close to enough tension no matter how the torsion bars are installed to hold the deck lid up. Do the bars have to have a full 360 degree twist on them to have proper tension? BTW, it is a '67 vert.
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do not know the answer, but have seen the question before. You should be able to find what you want with a search.
red1970mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I searched before I posted. Every post on the topic is mostly people talking about how much it sucks to install them, but nobody ever said if they need to be twisted all the way around or what to do if the trunk lid still won't stay up. So I'm still looking for the answer.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm about to do the same, again. Didn't know there was a rh/lh piece. I installed them once by positioning the shorter end into place and then bending and sliding the longer (rear most) pieces into place. They look good but lid won't stay open even in the max setting. That's why I think there's a rh & a lh. Oh by the way in my '67 Ford shop manual a nice pic and a "how to do" showing the special tool. The tool looks eay to make as that's what I'm doing. Flat steel stock about 1" wide, make a slit in the end about twice the dia. of the rod, then a hole center of rod couple inches down the bar, be the same dist. as the small end of rod where the "U" shape is. Just slide on tool and twist I guess. Haven't gotten that far yet. When all else fails use a pipe wrench and a big adjustable wrench.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rumrumm

Or do as I am, and change from the factory '67 design to the '68 round-spring type, and bolt it in...
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have tried switching the RH and LH rods, it still doesn't stay up.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Apparently the torsion bars are worn out. I am confident that they are installed correctly after talking to some people here and locally, and it still will not stay up. I might check out that '68 desing or go junkyarding from another Ford if I can find one that is the same bar.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.