pertronix ignitor and coil wiring diagram - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ok so i misplaced my diagram for the connections of the ignitor and coil. went to the pertronix site and not available. anyone have the diagram that you can email or post a pic of. Im bypassing the resistor wire today so im aware of that issue, but need to know how to interconnect everything.

Thanks
Scott

65VERT, 289, Holley Street Avenger 570, Pertronix, JBA Shortys, Flomaster delta 50's, BW T-10

You learn something new every day. When you think you know everything you probably know nothing.

No Problems Only Solutions
keyspan0203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you done a search on VMF? A long time ago someone posted the schematics here I believe. If not, search the internet for Pertronix installation instructions. It should be available on line somewhere. If not, try sending an email to Pertronix and ask them to send them to you electronically. I used to have them on a pdf file but have long since lost them.
http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopo...891engine4.jpg
bcombs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snugs

I hooked the new 12v source to the coil + and I also hooked the red wire of the pertonix to the + side of the coil because that is now a switched 12v source and the other wire I just hooked to the - side of the coil. It worked But if something is wrong with this maybe someone will correct me
snugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did a search and went back a year, found nothin. Well if it worked for you then why shoudnt it work for me.

Thanks
Scott

65VERT, 289, Holley Street Avenger 570, Pertronix, JBA Shortys, Flomaster delta 50's, BW T-10

You learn something new every day. When you think you know everything you probably know nothing.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

The pertronix unit needs a 12 volt power source. The coil power wire is resistor wire. You DO NOT want to apply 12 volts to your non resistor coil or it could explode. If you use the resistor wire to power the pertronix unit, it will not function properly.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

there was a post on here within the last week or so. several responses and info.i remeber 1 of them was johnpro. i have no luck doing a search at all on anything,ever! gotta be the website-no way it could be me {LOL}.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Pertronix ign. unit has been working for 8 years about 60,000 miles and I did not bypass the resistor wire. I do not use their coil.
red1970mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK so this is what i did, I disconnected the resistor wire from the pigtail right by the switch. Made up my own pigtail on a fresh new wire, ran it through the firewall and ran it directly to the coil and piggybacked that connection to my electric choke which is then piggybacked to the ignitor + term. The black wire from the ignitor to the - term of the coil. So what do you think? I think it should be fine. electrical is one of my strong points i troubleshoot hvac units everyday. thanks for all the replys.

Scott

Old 06-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The pertronix unit needs a 12 volt power source.
That is COMPLETELY false. If you do a search here, you will see that MANY of us have been running Pertronix Ignitors for years via the resistor wire.

Pertronix used to say to hook it up via the ballast resistor or resistor wire if you're car was equipped with one (that's what my instructions say). About 5 years ago, they changed the instructions because a very tiny percentage of cars had such low coil voltage that it was a wonder they were running with points. By switching the instructions to say hook it to a 12v source, it made that tiny percentage of people fix their low voltage problem when hooking up the Ignitor.

The Ignitor is either on or off, there's no in-between, and it will be on with about 7v.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
The pertronix unit needs a 12 volt power source.
That is COMPLETELY false. If you do a search here, you will see that MANY of us have been running Pertronix Ignitors for years via the resistor wire.

Pertronix used to say to hook it up via the ballast resistor or resistor wire if you're car was equipped with one (that's what my instructions say). About 5 years ago, they changed the instructions because a very tiny percentage of cars had such low coil voltage that it was a wonder they were running with points. By switching the instructions to say hook it to a 12v source, it made that tiny percentage of people fix their low voltage problem when hooking up the Ignitor.

The Ignitor is either on or off, there's no in-between, and it will be on with about 7v.
Maybe I was the 1% I had to wire 12Volts to the pertronix.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snugs

Quote:
The pertronix unit needs a 12 volt power source. The coil power wire is resistor wire. You DO NOT want to apply 12 volts to your non resistor coil or it could explode. If you use the resistor wire to power the pertronix unit, it will not function properly.
I am using the Flame Thrower II coil which shows this Primary Resistance: 0.600 ohms Secondary Resistance: 10K ohms maybe why it didn't explode
snugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Try this LINK. Both of mine stumble at idle as stated in the letter above. I will give give the solution a try and let ya know.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thats a great link and explanation of why it SHOULD have a direct 12v feed.

thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.