66 Mustang clutch pedal - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have a '66 Mustang 6cyl automatic with manual brakes that I'm in the process of converting to a V8 5spd. My question is can I change the brake pedal and add a clutch pedal to the existing pedal support or do I need to swap the whole pedal assembly from a manual trans car. Also is a 6cyl Z-bar and brackets the same as a V8 or is the Z-bar itself different for a 6cyl car.

I did do a search for these questions but was unable to find an answer so I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks
947166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
My question is can I change the brake pedal and add a clutch pedal to the existing pedal support or do I need to swap the whole pedal assembly from a manual trans car.
: The carrier assembly is the same. What you will need is the spring, a hook piece that bolts on the back of the carrier, and a rebound bumper for the clutch pedal. These are only found on a standard trans carrier. Many standard set ups have long since blown out the bushings, so, you are better to use the carrier from the automatic, and just trasnsfer over the parts.
Quote:
Also is a 6cyl Z-bar and brackets the same as a V8 or is the Z-bar itself different for a 6cyl car.
The Z bar is different, and 65 and 66 Z bars are different from each other on both the 6 and 8 cyl cars. The brackets are the same. If you need more help, or some pictures, let me know.

Richardson TX

1964.5 D code vert (The 'Vert)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Mustangerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can use the existing pedal support, but you will need several pieces from a clutch pedal support to swap over (pedals, clutch pedal stop, spring, spring brackets, etc.). I suggest you locate a complete pedal support from a stick shift car and use the parts from it on your existing automatic support. Almost all the used manual pedal supports I've seen are tweaked from the forces involved in working the archaic Mustang clutch linkage. Your automatic one is probably in good shape.

Remember to get new pedal bushings and the little Delrin clips to insulate the ends of the big spring.

As for the Z-bar, I believe they are the same for 6 cyl and V8 cars, and the only oddball was for the K codes. There was a difference in the '65 and '66 versions, though, so you will need to get the one that matches your clutch equalizer rod.

It's been awhile since I did this conversion, so I hope I'm getting all this right. If anybody knows differently, please chime in . . .

Regards,
MrFreeze

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles
MrFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mal

Send a message via AIM to Mal Send a message via Yahoo to Mal

I did the conversion too and you covered it well. He will also need the z bar bracket and dont forget the felt washers
Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did the conversion utilizing my automatic pedal support. I fabricated the bracket to connect the assist/return spring out of 1/8" thick flat stock. No big deal. Bumber, I didn't need no stinking bumper. It works fine without one. I fabricated a clutch cable set up, so I avoided the whole z-bar issue.

Feel free to P.M. me if you need specifics on what I fabricated.

California car born an I6, now with warmed up 289 w/T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel. Owned since 1983.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_3.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_2.jpg
66coupe289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.